01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

POE Junction Box cable inlet/weatherproof

AdErm

Hi all,
Wondering if someone could help me out please.
Installing my first outdoor PoE camera and I've just got this junction box.

My questions are:
The ethernet cable is narrower than the inlet, do I leave this like it is to allow any water to drain out?
Or do I use some self-amalgamating tape/sealant to plug that hole?

I'm confused about fully weatherproofing these junction boxes or just leaving them as is with the inlet/outlet facing downwards?

I've attached a couple of photos below. Any help is much appreciated, thank you.

Outsideview.jpg

Insideview.jpg

HI @AdErm, I could be wrong but it looks like you have not tightened the gland (which you refer to as 'inlet'). If you spin the nut part of the gland up further towards the base, you will be able to tighten the main gland part and as a result, the rubber seal will constrict make a tight seal.

Hi @AdErm

As @Jami3 says the gland on the junction box should tighten down around the cable, but some cable is too thin to be gripped by the gland even at its tightest point so you may need to wrap some amalgamating tape around that section of the cable to widen it so the gland can grip it.

Thank you for the helpful replies. Appreciate it.
I should have mentioned in my main post that it will tighten more than the photo shows but there is still a gap.
I'll wrap with tape until it feels sufficient.

I'm still a little confused about weatherproofing though. Do I need to have drain holes for water/moisture building up over time? Or do I completely seal it?
Thanks again!

Hi @AdErm

The junction box should be sealed as tight as possible, there may be some moisture build-up over time (e.g. condensation) but as long as you have fitted the plastic seal over the RJ45 connection and or wrapped that in tape as well, that small amount of moisture inside should not be an issue.

Thank you @Dan really helpful!
Finally, am I right in thinking I can use normal outdoor silicone caulk on any areas outside the box which may allow moisture/water in?

Sorry for the noob questions but I want to do it right the first time.

Yes, that should be fine and is definitely a good idea if the box is installed on a rough surface where water may get behind the box.

Back