01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

A suitable POE switch for my IP cameras?

RoundSquare

Hi, I've already got a DS-7616NI-12-16p NVR but have decided to run the cameras to a POE switch in the loft then a single cable down to the NVR.
I know a Gigabit switch is probably overkill for the cameras but it would help with my other network traffic.

Would a switch like this be okay or should I go for a Hikvision equivalent? https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Et...PBXMHRR/dp/B08PBXMHRR/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?th=1
Apologies if outside links aren't allowed, please remove it. Its the Netgear GS308PP

Hikvision PTZ cameras
Hi @RoundSquare

The gigabit combo ports are LAN network and SFP fibre ports combined, see the diagram at the bottom of the datasheet.

These ports will allow for a gigabit connection between switches or between the switch and router, but the PoE ports will still only be 100Mbps.

Thanks @Dan. I looked at the diagram of the datasheet and both branches are exactly the same so thought I might be missing something.

I appreciate the PoE ports will still only be 100Mbps, as I understand it the cameras would be nowhere near this limit?

Is that correct or would I be as well waiting for the 1Gb PoE switches to come back into stock?

I'd hate for the switch to be a bottleneck.

Thanks.

Back