01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Possible constraints for single IP camera operation

Jimlee

I'm new to security cameras, especially IP cams and the current technology. Initially, i'd like to simply setup an outdoor IP camera to monitor the entrance area of my house without using a NVR system. If the initial setup works out well, I may go to the NVR configuration with multiple cameras at a later time. Of course, I want remote phone or pc access to the camera. I'm looking at the low end bullet type camera Hikvision DS-2CD2012 that Hikvision doesn't list as a Poe type camera. My Cradlepoint router doesn't support Poe so it wouldn't be an issue. Does Hikvision use a web based client server for remote access ? If so, I'm guessing that client video streaming over the internet to server occurs only during a remote connection period. ( I've discovered that some phone connection apps require a constant video feed to their supported web server) . If what's been pre-mentioned is feasible, are their any setup issues that I need to be aware of, and access to setup guides or procedures that might be available ? I just don't want to order this camera, discover that it can't be used in the environment I've described, and then think - damn, why didn't I thoroughly check this situation out
before buying. Sin

Hi,

Typically, you'd connect directly to your camera as opposed to a web server for remote access to a Hikvision camera. You would thus need to forward a few ports or use a VPN to access the camera remotely, at which point it would only ever send traffic when you're actively viewing it. You'd do so using a web browser or mobile device.

You can also use a DDNS service to access it (Hikvision offer a free DDNS service covered below), but again the same rules as above apply.
http://forum.use-ip.co.uk/threads/t...ted-with-your-hikvision-system.689/#post-1361

The above thread covers a lot of stuff you might need to know regarding Hikvision devices, but you can also use the search function on our forum - there's a lot of threads related to Hikvision setup.

The DS-2CD2012-I is a fairly old camera now - what was once 1MP has been overtaken by 3MP and 4MP cameras. It will likely be more expensive and harder to come by than a more current version of the same camera, the DS-2CD2042WD-I
https://www.use-ip.co.uk/hikvision-ds-2cd2042wd-i.html

Thanks for the info. I am aware of older IP cams requiring port forwarding and a static IP address or use a 3rd party DDNS service, but didn't realize that they were still being offered. However, the 720p resolution would be fine for my needs - higher resolutions would be taxing on the bandwidth limitations of my setup. I'll definitely access the links above and search the forum for setup info. I'm just curious if the newer IP cam technology including the P2P setups are actually any better that the older IP cameras other than improved resolutions and easier setups ?

Back