01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Power over Ethernet - connect without running wires through the house?

blueplanet

Hello

I am new to CCTV and wondered if anyone could help me out. I have purchased a Reolink PoE IP Dome Kit with Cameras. I get that I use a Cat 5 or 6 cable to connect the Cameras to the NVR. However, what I would like to do is connect a camera at the back of the house but without having the cable running through the house to the front where the NVR is located.

I was looking at Powerline adaptors and wondered if anyone is aware of any similar device that allow me to use the houses existing wiring to connect from the back of the house to the NVR? If you know how Powerline adaptors work you will understand what I am trying to do. Thanks.

Look Im no expert, but I spent a lot of time trying to get wireless to work properly and other tech in order to avoid a mess of wires running through the house. It always worked for a while, then I would notice it had failed and have to start all over a again. Ultimately I took the plunge after realising that I only needed one ethernet cable to go from the router (not necessarily from NVR) to a central 4+4 port POE switch in/near the loft and from there I could fan out in any direction I wanted to cover most sides of the house. The NVR can go any where you have an ethernet cable going (I like to hide it as mine has hard drive in it) , next to Router or POE Switch or otherwise. I never physically touch my NVR, instead I access it from any PC in my home.

Im sorry I dont have direct experience of powerline for CCTV as you asked, but after trial and error I find POE direct cable to be rock solid technology and well worth the aggro. Of course once you have run that one cable , you get to have the capacity for wired internet wherever your switch will reach to and you can better hide your NVR from the bad guys.

I was looking at Powerline adaptors and wondered if anyone is aware of any similar device that allow me to use the houses existing wiring to connect from the back of the house to the NVR? If you know how Powerline adaptors work you will understand what I am trying to do. Thanks.
Powerline should work fine.

Thanks. So would the wiring set up be Camera to Injector switch (IS); IS to powerline adaptor; powerline to socket; and then powerline at the other end to NVR? Thank you very much.

Yes

See video below from 3mins 47 secs

Back