01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

MacOS Problems Running iVMS-4200 on MacOS Catalina(10.15)

Dan

Administrator
Staff member
Trusted Member
We have had several customers and forum users reporting problems running iVMS-4200 since updating to MacOS Catalina (10.15), the reports have varied from some saying the software runs ok but does crash unexpectedly to others saying the iVMS software does not work at all.

If you have G1 cameras (2xx3G0/2xx5FWD/2xx5G1) and/or an I-series NVR you can get around the iVMS issues by updating to the latest firmware and logging in to the NVR/cameras with any browser using the 'plug-in free' solution.

But if you have to use iVMS-4200 for a particular reason or have older Hikvision R6 (2x22/2x42) or R0 (2x12/2x32) cameras and/or K-series (and older) NVR models then your best solution, for the time being, is to NOT update to any version of MacOS Catalina. If you have already updated to Catalina and you need to access your NVR/cameras urgently then there are a couple of things you can try:

1) Try downgrading the MacOS to an earlier (non-Catalina) version - have seen some instructions on Mac-specific forums in the past about how this may be done
2) Connect a monitor directly to your NVR
3) Setup a Windows PC on your network to run iVMS-4200/access the devices with a browser

Please feel free to post any updates or further problems you experience with MacOS Catalina to this thread, we apologise for these issues and hopefully Hikvision support (who have been made aware of the issue) will release an update for iVMS-4200 in the near future.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is ridiculous. My IVMS continues to crash because you guys aren't up to date.

Did you bother to read Dan's post above? There are only three possible villains in your scenario: Hikvision, Apple and you. This forum is run by none of those.

We understand the frustrations - all we can do is keep lobbying Hikvision for resolution to various issues.
@Dan is in touch with Hikvision Tech Support pretty much daily for one issue or another.
Unfortunately, progress is often slow :(

I am also running Catalina and am now stuck with my DS-7604NI-K1(B).
The only way I can now view live and playback is on my iPhone using Hik-Connect.

Browsers don't work and iVMS-4200 either crashes or freezes.
Anyone got any tips or workrounds??

Surely Hikvision have got to sort this out asap.

I am also running Catalina and am now stuck with my DS-7604NI-K1(B).
The only way I can now view live and playback is on my iPhone using Hik-Connect.

Browsers don't work and iVMS-4200 either crashes or freezes.
Anyone got any tips or workrounds??

Surely Hikvision have got to sort this out asap.

Sorry to hear this, iVMS should work for the 7604(B). Are you running the latest version of iVMS-4200 for Mac - v2.0.0.10

Hi Dan, thanks for the reply.

Yes I am running 2.0.0.10. In fact I have just uninstalled and reinstalled and it's the same.

When I launch the app a box flashes up for about half a second which I think may be due to permissions. But you cant do anything with it as it disappears so quickly.
When the app opens there are no cameras available in Main View and if you go to device management it just sits there with the coloured spinning disc. Only option is to force quit it.

Sorry for my offtop.
I have:
- 10.15.1 Catalina
- 2.0.0.10 iVMS 4200
Work fine

Hi Dan, thanks for the reply.

Yes I am running 2.0.0.10. In fact I have just uninstalled and reinstalled and it's the same.

When I launch the app a box flashes up for about half a second which I think may be due to permissions. But you cant do anything with it as it disappears so quickly.
When the app opens there are no cameras available in Main View and if you go to device management it just sits there with the coloured spinning disc. Only option is to force quit it.

Having the SAME issue you are having. Wish we could get an updated version.....

I contacted HikVision support on this back at the end of October and this is what they said:

"Im afraid there is currently no support for Mac OS Catalina although our team are working on a new version of IVMS4500 to support Mac OS Catalina. I am unable to provide you with a timescale as to when this will be ready. Our apologies for any inconvenience caused."

I'm just using a Windows 10 VM currently with the client installed there, bit laggy but works fine.

See all above
Same problem with iVMS 2.0.0 and OS Catalina 10.15 Cannot get into device management module Therefore cannot recruit equipment Despite all able to get iPhone pictures via wifi from my router so mt LAN is OK
No way am I going to downgrade from catalina because of security issues and generally Mojave was slower than catalina on my Mac mini

So come on Hikvision fix the problem NOW !!

Am user since 2012 and have upgraded firmware etc periodically

Please note also that Hikvision are not good at all at keeping clients/purchasers updated with news re new firmware etc etc Disappointing !!

I am running macOS Catalina 10.15.2 and have not been able to install iVMS 4200 since last October when I installed Catalina.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-01-02 at 15.50.13.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-02 at 15.50.13.png
    616.9 KB · Views: 649
  • Screenshot 2020-01-02 at 15.49.03.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-02 at 15.49.03.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 766
I am running macOS Catalina 10.15.2 and have not been able to install iVMS 4200 since last October when I installed Catalina.
That message has nothing to do with Catalina application incompatibility, thats just a Catalina security warning that you get with all apps which come from developers not recognised by Apple. You need to go to Apple System Preferences- Security & Privacy, then you'll have an "Open Anyway" button under the "Allow apps downloaded from" section.

1577981745466.png

That being said, even once you resolve your Catalina security issue, the app still won't work because IVMS4200 is unsupported in Catalina - it may install, but it will crash when you launch it. See my post above from HikVision support. I'm afraid you'll have to wait until they release a new version.

I am well aware of this and I posted the screenshots to illustrate the limitations of this software with Catalina...it is quite simply a workaround on a Mac and furthermore the installation on MS Windows is straight forward.
I have had this software instaled on my iMac since I updated to Catalina using this workaround but it still refuses to connect to the cameras!!

Perhaps for once we will all have to be patient
A liitle collaboration between Apple and Hikvision wouldn't go amiss
It really can't be that hard to fix
I will try to get them talking to one another !?!? - some hope WAKE UP APPLE & HIKVISION

Back