01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Protecting a House Completely: soffit or wall installation?

DaleTX

I don't have a specific house yet, but I would like to start thinking about the proper CCTV system now because there will be a million things to do once that process starts. It will likely be a single story house. Threat is not burglars, but vandalism (from a stalker). To protect the house, I'm thinking that each camera will have at least one other camera protecting it, so you can't attack one of them without being captured on another. Each side of the house would thus have a minimum of two cameras, looking at each other down the side of the house. For longer sides, I'd probably add another "node" of two cameras like so (where the <> signs are intended to look like eyes, so the open side is the one where the camera points).

Code:
|___________________________________L__________________________________|
<                                  ><                                  >
At what distance L would I actually need to double up like that? I'm considering going with a dome camera, fixed lense with 8MP resolution (best tech I can afford given that I'll be buying a lot of cameras).

In addition to L, some other questions:
* What FOV should I be looking for? As mentioned, the cameras will be pointed down the side of the house, so the other camera must be in view, and the ground below it, and every spot on the ground along the side of the house must be visible in eat least one camera.
* I like the idea of the cameras being installed in the soffits vs. the wall because less damage will be done to the house, right? But my understanding is that the installer will need to install 2x4s behind the soffits for mounting. Is this right? I assume only a CCTV installer will know how to do this, and not an alarm installer (since why would they)?
* How do I protect the roof? Yes, could be a target if not protected. How do I cover it with video without the sun burning out the camera and how would I mount it? Probably slopped at 30 degrees or so.
* Videos I've seen show the soffit has easily removed metal or vinyl snap-ins. When those are removed, there's a 12 inch hole as long as the roof. Am I missing something, or how is that not a security threat? My obese torso could likely squeeze through a door opened 12 inches. Is it just not possible due to the angle of the roof?

Perhaps have a play around with the online lens calculator that JVSG provide here:

Lens Calculator

You will be able to see an illustration of the effect of changing any of the parameters.

Thanks, but what about my questions about installation (wall vs. soffit) and protecting the roof?

Back