01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

PTZ Preset VS Smart Tracking

Jami3

I have a DS-2DE5425IW-AE PTZ with smart tracking plugged into an I Series NVR.

I would like to be able to have smart events from other cameras trigger the PTZ to navigate to a certain preset and begin tracking. However, it seems that when a preset is called, the camera waits at that preset for quite a while before it will start tracking.

It is understandable for the camera to do this because you might not necessarily want the camera to navigate somewhere else after calling a preset but I was wondering if there was a way to decrease the amount of time the PTZ stays at it's preset before it begins auto tracking?

Dan

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @Jami3

We have spoken to Hikvision support about this dwell time you describe and unfortunately, they have confirmed it is fixed at 15s and there is no way currently to adjust this delay.

Stuart J

Hi Dan/Jami3

For completeness regarding dwell time of the preset, the following is a quote from page 4 of Hikvision's 'How to Configure PTZ Function' 11 page information document dated 02/04/2020.

"Note: The dwell time of the preset cannot be set less than 15 seconds, this is to ensure that the slip ring has a longer service life."

This begs the question regarding the aforementioned slip ring's suitability for purpose which appears to be an astonishing veiled admission to the contrary.

The main duty of my 'about-to-be-purchased' PTZ was also to be smart tracking triggered from its parked position by any one of three static turrets, potentially then allowing detailed footage by the PTZ from anywhere within its required ca 250 degree coverage arc.

However, swinging around to a preset position at the rate of ca 120 degrees/s is of little benefit if the PTZ then just 'sits there' until this dwell time of 15 seconds has counted down because the chances are that the event has been irretrievably missed and is now outside the PTZ's current FOV.

This is a very disappointing shortcoming for anyone intending to use triggered smart tracking for short duration events where prompt response is of paramount importance.

Dan, if you have the opportunity and indeed the inclination, I would be grateful if you would also ask Hikvision if it is the same situation for the new (S5) range of 5425/5432 PTZ models please (I suspect that it is)?

Many thanks.

S

Jami3

HI Stuart,

I did later spot that text you quoted there. You raise a valid point there about the suitability.

Strangely, I think I noticed a bug on this PTZ firmware - if you set the park time to anything other than 5s and move the camera manually or if the camera moves as a result of a preset being called, it will never return to park. But if I keep it at 5s, it won't wait for the 15s preset dwell to elapse, if it spots something moving - it will track.

But even still, you are totally correct in pointing out the shortfall here, which is: by the time the camera gets to the position of the preset to start tracking, the person has moved out of the FOV. Unless the camera is very far from the subject matter. I wish the PTZ's focal length started at 2.8mm, it would make auto tracking much easier.

I have actually sent my DS-2DE5425IW-AE back now because I think I will have more luck with the S5 version. Waiting for this to arrive.

I'm pretty sure that the S5 version will present some more "Linkage Methods" for the smart events of static cameras.

The reason I think this is because I can trigger the flashing light and sound on one of my turrets from a different camera as a result of a smart event being triggered.

To be clear, on the NVR, under linkage methods of smart events, I have these options:
192.168.254.3:8000->Light
192.168.254.3:8000->Sound

I think the S5 will present "Smart Tracking" as a linkage method for the smart events of other cameras connected to the NVR. I plan to select "smart tracking" and a PTZ Linkage preset.

Either way, while the non S5 seems to be the same hardware as the S5, the S5 runs completely different firmware so I look forward to seeing how this performs.

Stuart J

HI Stuart,

I did later spot that text you quoted there. You raise a valid point there about the suitability.

Strangely, I think I noticed a bug on this PTZ firmware - if you set the park time to anything other than 5s and move the camera manually or if the camera moves as a result of a preset being called, it will never return to park. But if I keep it at 5s, it won't wait for the 15s preset dwell to elapse, if it spots something moving - it will track.

But even still, you are totally correct in pointing out the shortfall here, which is: by the time the camera gets to the position of the preset to start tracking, the person has moved out of the FOV. Unless the camera is very far from the subject matter. I wish the PTZ's focal length started at 2.8mm, it would make auto tracking much easier.

I have actually sent my DS-2DE5425IW-AE back now because I think I will have more luck with the S5 version. Waiting for this to arrive.

I'm pretty sure that the S5 version will present some more "Linkage Methods" for the smart events of static cameras.

The reason I think this is because I can trigger the flashing light and sound on one of my turrets from a different camera as a result of a smart event being triggered.

To be clear, on the NVR, under linkage methods of smart events, I have these options:
192.168.254.3:8000->Light
192.168.254.3:8000->Sound

I think the S5 will present "Smart Tracking" as a linkage method for the smart events of other cameras connected to the NVR. I plan to select "smart tracking" and a PTZ Linkage preset.

Either way, while the non S5 seems to be the same hardware as the S5, the S5 runs completely different firmware so I look forward to seeing how this performs.
Hi Jami3

Many thanks for sharing your experience and information; the combination of parameter settings gives me some hope, irrespective of it being due to a bug/idiosyncrasy of the system.

Regarding the 2.8mm lens, I agree it would be handy on occasions but a 'certain law' states that there would always be scenarios where even that relatively wide (but solitary) FOV would not be quite enough at times. Two of my 4mm (94 degrees HFOV) 4MP 2347 ColorVu cams are positioned with their 'virtual' centre lines in a 'crossed swords' configuration which for my purposes is fine regarding coverage.

Overall I am happy with the ColorVu cams and the light-gathering capability of the F1.0 is impressive. However the definition from ca 15m I had hoped would be a little sharper as my main area of interest is at ca 20m (and occasionally above this) and is a void which a new PTZ should adequately fill.

I note from Hikvision's UK site that together with a number of other models, the DS-2DE5425IW-AE is now EOL so a good decision re the S5; my four DS-2CD2347G1-L(U) ColorVu cams that were new in May 2020 (launched late 2019) is now a model also flagged as 'end of life' and superseded by the 'Generation 2' AcuSense model!

I would be interested to learn of your experiences with the S5 eventually (both pros and cons) and hope that you will be delighted with it. It is a sizeable beast (when compared to my other shortlisted PTZ, the DS-2DE4A425IW-DE) and would not look out of place with a pair of short .22 rifled barrels protruding from its turret :-0)

In the event that you had not seen the DVS video 'How to set up smart tracking on a Hikvision PTZ using VCA' I have pasted the link below. It demonstrates the company's preferred and alternative method to the one more commonly used.

Regards

S