01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

PTZ Question...

RetiredTD

Good evening,

About three years ago I came by a PTZ Camera that I was given by a friend who had no use for it.
It does not have any makers labels to give you model etc, sorry.
I have two HD-IP CCTV cameras that I have at the moment working with a Netgear FS 508 and a NVR XVision.
My question is, with my limited knowledge of CCTV systems how can I test if the PTZ Camera is working with my system?
The inner workings move around when I plug it into the 12v 1amp power supply, and the video connection is a BNC connection.
My question is What adapter can I use to be able to connect to the Netgear Ethernet plug that includes the video connection please?
Being an OAP I hope that I have made some sense.
Kind regards

Hi @RetiredTD

The PTZ you have is an analog PTZ, connecting an analog PTZ to a network/IP solution is not a simple or cheap thing to do.

You will need an Encoder like the Hikvision DS-6701HFI Encoder to receive the analog BNC signal and convert/encode it to a network IP signal.

A single channel encoder like the above will cost you around £150-200 which is an expensive purchase simply for testing whether the camera even works and even if it does work the Encoder will usually greatly limit the resolution you can get from the camera, for example the above Hikvision model will only encode at a max. resolution of 4CIF which is substantially lower quality than 720p resolution.

Good morning Dan,

Thank you very much for your detailed and fair comments.

I think that the PTZ will have to be moved on due to the costings not being economic.

Kind regards

Reactions: Dan
Back