01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Question on CCTV Monitors

Bluenose1940

Centurion!
Trusted Member
At the moment I am using my computer monitor for my CCTV setup but, if I want to have a look at what my camera is showing, I have to leave what I am doing and then toggle the HDMI splitter/switch which, in itself isn't a big problem. However, I have now decided that I would prefer to have a constant image available whilst I am working at the computer which I can glance at regularly but, which obviously will necessitate a second monitor.

My question is, do I need to purchase a specific CCTV monitor or, can I use an ordinary computer monitor. The reason that I ask is, I have heard of something that I think is called 'burn-in' whereby some of the static image remains on the screen all of the time. With a CCTV camera showing mostly a static image a lot of the time and only changing when there is movement, would this be a problem with a pc monitor or, are the two (CCTV monitor and pc monitor)really one and the same as regards construction.
The image would probably 'live' for most of the working day but off during the evening/night, roughly 12 hours on and 12 hours off.

Many thanks.

We just use computer monitors.
We don't see a problem with burn-in on modern LCD monitors.

I'm using a Benq monitor downstairs and an LG upstairs and i also use an acer for my computer but can monitor on that too(yes i'm greedy)

All can be used either for computer or as a cctv monitor

Well folks, I finally got round to getting a monitor for my CCTV setup and I purchased this one......

PHILIPS 226E9QHAB Full HD 21.5" LCD Monitor - Black & Silver

However, I was really disappointed to be confronted by a message appearing on the screen as soon as I switched it on and is precisely what I mentioned in my original post

Us of fixed pattern or static images for more than 30 minutes may result in image burn-in.

Do all manufacturers 'install' this warning just to protect themselves or should I return the item and change it for another brand?

I have had a look at the user manual that came on a CD and here is an image of the warning given in that......

Phillips warning.PNG

Last edited:
I never bother with the burn issue unless you are wanting to use a pricey monitor and or also want to use the monitor for something else. Get a cheap monitor and throw away when knackered, you should still get a few years out of it at any rate.

Engineer: CCTV Manchester

Thank you CCTV Manchester. Interestingly I contacted Phillips and they said that it only really becomes a problem if you leave an image static for 12 hours or more and as I won't be doing that I'm not concerned anymore. Apart from that I've managed to suss out that I can set the image to automatically change from one camera to another at set times which is also a help.

Thanks for your input.

Back