01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Recommendations for home CCTV system?

jw123

I'm looking for a system for my home/garden and I'd be grateful for any advice. I'll probably need 4 cameras (but will want to add 1 or maybe 2 extra). I plan to install it myself.

Ideally I want something that will record 24/7 but I want to get push notifications on my phone (Android) whenever there is an alert (must be push, not email)

But from what I've noticed most CCTV apps have terrible reviews on the Play store.
HikVision/HiLook and Dahua seem to have great cameras/NVRs but the app doesn't look great. Same with self-hosted solutions such as iSpy, Shinobi or BlueIris.
The ZoneMinder app gets better reviews but the software itself looks like it needs A LOT of time/effort to get things up and running.

I have around £300 to spend (already have POE switch and spare PC so more to spend on cameras if self hosted and doesn't need NVR)

So my questions are:
Are the reviews on the Android apps anything to go by, or are they all just users who haven't configured their system/network correctly?

Are there any other affordable brands that I haven't mentioned that I should take look at?

Hi @jw123

We would say that it is true that many CCTV mobile apps have problems and could be more user friendly, but from our experience with the Hik-Connect app for Hikivison the basic functionality works fine and when the odd irritating issue or missing feature does appear they are most often fixed within a few weeks with an app update.

Unfortunately, most of the brands you have mentioned above will not be within your budget, the entry-level 4MP Hikvision cameras are around the £100 mark. The only brand above that you might be able to get a full system for around £300-£400 would be HiLook.

Hi @jw123

We would say that it is true that many CCTV mobile apps have problems and could be more user friendly, but from our experience with the Hik-Connect app for Hikivison the basic functionality works fine and when the odd irritating issue or missing feature does appear they are most often fixed within a few weeks with an app update.

Unfortunately, most of the brands you have mentioned above will not be within your budget, the entry-level 4MP Hikvision cameras are around the £100 mark. The only brand above that you might be able to get a full system for around £300-£400 would be HiLook.
Hi Dan, thanks for the quick response.

Roughly what budget would I need if I wanted to go with HikVision 3x 4MP cameras and 1x 1080/2MP and a 8 channel NVR?

Also what would kind of budget would I be looking at if I went with HiLook? And what features would I lose when compared with HikVision?

A Hikvision system like the one you have described would be roughly £800-£1,000 depending on the models, HDD size, and other accessories (mounts, cables, PoE injectors/switches)

I couldn't give you a price on HiLook as we do not sell it, HiLook is Hikvision's cheaper consumer range designed to compete with brands like Swann. The HiLook products will have less smart functionality, cheaper hardware (e.g. lower-spec lenses & sensors), and will use a lot more low-quality materials in their production. (much more plastic components)

Thanks Dan.
Could you provide links to the HikVision cameras and NVR you'd recommend? I've already got a couple of suitable HDD's, POE network switches and plenty of Cat5 cable, so could possibly stretch my budget to go for HikVision rather than HiLook.

Last edited:
Back