01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Reducing Blur

frank123

Hi guys,

Any other ways of reducing blur and pixelation other than changing the Exposure Time settings?

I'm getting blur and pixelation during daytime...

Camera: Hikvision DS-2CD2383G0-I

My cameras are 4K. I have GAIN on 0 and Noise Reduction Level on 40

Here are some of my settings:

Thank you

Attachments

• settings 1.png
    settings 1.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 178
  • settings 2.png
    settings 2.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Gain needs to be increased - by default it's set to 100. As you've reduced the gain to zero, the camera is no longer amplifying the signal. The camera will slow the electronic shutter to allow more light and will increase motion blur as a result. I don't rate H265+ - I've never had good results with it. Try switching to H265, video quality down to higher and put the gain back up to 100.

Gain needs to be increased - by default it's set to 100. As you've reduced the gain to zero, the camera is no longer amplifying the signal. The camera will slow the electronic shutter to allow more light and will increase motion blur as a result. I don't rate H265+ - I've never had good results with it. Try switching to H265, video quality down to higher and put the gain back up to 100.

Should I set the Gain settings to 5 as the lighting conditions are fine.

Should I set the Gain settings to 5 as the lighting conditions are fine.
They're fine to your eye, but not necessarily to the camera! Hikvision set it at 100 for a reason - it's needed. The camera will only use the gain if it's needed so you may as well leave it at 100 - it won't harm the image.

They're fine to your eye, but not necessarily to the camera! Hikvision set it at 100 for a reason - it's needed. The camera will only use the gain if it's needed so you may as well leave it at 100 - it won't harm the image.

I was told if you set the Gain settings high you get light but you get a lot of noise and blur?

Hi frank123, it might be something that you're already aware of, but increasing the gain essentially increases the camera's sensitivity to capturing light, allowing you to brighten the whole image for a better picture in low-light. The drawback here is that increased sensitivity to light = increased noise in the image as it amplifies everything. So, increasing gain won't reduce picture quality unless you're doing so when it's not needed in good light or to excess in lower light. Assuming that your camera gives a satisfactory image quality, I'd avoid adjusting this setting too much during daylight hours as you want to avoid increased noise or over-brightening whenever possible. By all means, play around the gain levels during periods of lower light until you get a picture that you're happy with - you'll see what I mean by increased noise as you do this.

Yes, increasing gain will increase bandwidth usage in pretty much any situation - so another reason to avoid increasing it too much when it's not needed.

I was told if you set the Gain settings high you get light but you get a lot of noise and blur?
Increasing gain amplifies the signal brightening the image but also amplifying noise. Increasing noise reduction will increase motion blur. The camera receiving insufficient light itself will increase noise and that visible noise will be encoded by the camera pushing up the required bit rate. Everything is linked. The fact remains that Hikvision supply all of their cameras with the gain set at 100 and the noise reduction set at 50. You can tweak things to try and improve the image but I rarely alter the gain - external light levels vary with the weather and you have an ever changing sunrise/sunset time to contend with.

Back