01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Reducing frame-rate to allow live remote viewing over VDSL?

kiwi439

Bit of a newbie to CCTV etc, excuse my probably incorrect terminology.

We have four different locations in one town that we are looking at installing CCTV at, and would like to view all these cameras live 24/7 on a big screen at our main location (which is one of the four).

There is good line of sight between three out of the four locations, and the wireless link installers have advised it should be no problem to connect these up.

However the fourth location has no line of sight to our main location. We have VDSL at both ends, but when I talked to our CCTV guys they thought it's probably not fast enough to constantly stream 5 cameras in HD.

I was wondering if it's possible to live stream the five cameras 24/7 from that location, but reduce the frame rate so much that it only captures one frame per minute on our live stream (but the NVR still captures full fps on site). Even if our remote view only updates once per minute this would be absolutely fine 99% of the time, we're just using it to see if a truck has turned up etc. And obviously if this was possible it would use a very small amount of bandwidth, and should be no problem with VDSL.

Maybe this could even be done through some kind of remote desktop link?

Let me know if anyone has ideas!

Thanks

I've not come across VDSL before.
Wiki page here.
Do you know what uplink speed you will be able to achieve?

We usually get around 15Mbps (not MBps) upload at the location the cameras are at, and about 20Mbps download speed at the intended viewing location.

I'm from New Zealand, maybe VDSL is called something different in UK!

I've not come across VDSL before.
Wiki page here.
Do you know what uplink speed you will be able to achieve?
VDSL is fibre broadband Fiber To The Cabinet FTTC. For me I get 50mb down and 20mb up, the further you are from the green street cabinet the rates drop.

Bit of a newbie to CCTV etc, excuse my probably incorrect terminology.

We have four different locations in one town that we are looking at installing CCTV at, and would like to view all these cameras live 24/7 on a big screen at our main location (which is one of the four).

There is good line of sight between three out of the four locations, and the wireless link installers have advised it should be no problem to connect these up.

However the fourth location has no line of sight to our main location. We have VDSL at both ends, but when I talked to our CCTV guys they thought it's probably not fast enough to constantly stream 5 cameras in HD.

I was wondering if it's possible to live stream the five cameras 24/7 from that location, but reduce the frame rate so much that it only captures one frame per minute on our live stream (but the NVR still captures full fps on site). Even if our remote view only updates once per minute this would be absolutely fine 99% of the time, we're just using it to see if a truck has turned up etc. And obviously if this was possible it would use a very small amount of bandwidth, and should be no problem with VDSL.

Maybe this could even be done through some kind of remote desktop link?

Let me know if anyone has ideas!

Thanks
Why not just monitor the sub streams?

There are several ways you could implement this. We have done something similar at a client’s site. I’ll elaborate more if you'd get back to me on the following:

• IP camera models you will (or have) installed at the 4th location?
  • NVR model?
  • Is the NVR located at your main office, or one of the other two locations that will be connected via the wireless links?
  • Do you need the cameras at the 4th location to send motion detection or line crossing alerts?
  • At your main office, ask your ISP if they can provide you with a static IP.
  • Any chance the NVR is within 3M of the big screen TV?
Static IP's can be locked to a DSL line, not sure about VDSL. With a static IP at your main office, you could setup a VPN connection to the 4th office location. The VPN would enable direct connections to the cameras, direct recording to the NVR (if needed) and superior control of the live streams when using Hikvision's iVMS-4200 software.

If your Wi-fi links use the unlicensed spectrum too many nearby users could affect your link throughput and latency.

Back