01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Relatively "hack-proof" indoor camera?

jpowell79

Looking to buy a little indoor PTZ camera for the living room. I've been put off of the cheap Chinese generic indoor cameras sold on Amazon because of how vulnerable they are, often with backdoors to access them built into the software.

I appreciate that no IP camera is truly 100% hack-proof, but I would prefer one that you don't have to register to some dodgy Chinese cloud server and share all your details! Ideally one that doesn't have unnecessary unsecure ports open (telnet!) and perhaps includes 2FA

Also, I'd prefer not to be tied into a monthly contract....I'd just like to stick in an SD card which over-writes old footage and can be accessed remotely, with the proper security hardening in place on the router.

Any suggestions?

A good question, and I'm not sure that I have an answer.
The pro-type hardware manufacturers that we work with do not tend to include the type of mini PTZs that you often see for sale online.
And, as you have found, most of those that you can find are reliant upon the manufacturers own portal and Apps (which they provide for the simplicity of setup sought by most purchasers).

Back