01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Remote Backup not working to network drive

funkytwig

Works fine to local disk but if I set it to a network drive I get

fail.jpg

The network drive has full read/write access.

Ben

How have you actually set up a network storage device to backup to in the program? That screenshot doesn't really show where/which network storage is selected?

Remote backup doesn't necessarily mean backing up to a remote drive, but rather backing up from a remote device to a drive local on your current network.

We don't have much experience with the program so correct me if I'm wrong and any additional info would be great. However, the user manual seems to suggest that backing up to a network drive isn't actually supported:

1584096783278.png

1584096605874.png

I realize Remote Backup is to backup from NVR (i.e. the remote bit is the NVR) but where it backups to should not matter as long as it is a drive the computer running it has access to it. The network drive is a window shared drive (actually using samba running on a Linux box). The computer has full access to this drive.

Our issue is we need to backup all the files from the NVR over the network.

The permissions for the drive (when I right-click properties) for everyone and the user both full read/write.

I have tested by creating new files in the drive and had no problems. I have used shared drives of this type lots of times and never had any problems. My conclusion is hickvivion have deliberately done this to try to sell higher-end NVRs. The 77 range are fairly castrated. No RAID5 to network backup. NetHD does not even seem to work :). Been talking for support for days and no joy.

rb_shared_drive.jpg

Our supplier will not confirm if it should work or not, they have been 'investigating' or a cope fo days.

If the software does not backup to network drives this would require hickvivion to deliberately add code to stop this. To a program, a network drive and a local drive look the same.

Last edited:
Interesting, it's a strange one then! I'll take this directly to Hik and let you know what they say :)

I've just received a response from Hikvision. As suspected, saving to a network drive isn't supported in Remote Backup yet as there hasn't been the demand for it. You could always send an email to their support address to show that it's a feature users might want.

Interesting. Still think this must be deliberate. If the software is properly written network drives and real drives look the same to windows. Ive never found a piece of software that has this problem.

Why they allow the software to be set up with a network drive is also a mystery. Also my supplier got it working.

Thanks for running it past them.

Last edited:
It may well be, let us know of any progress made at your end. The only reason I was given to me is that they "didn’t heard of a lot of demands for backup to network drive, so it is not included currently."

Hello everyone,
I have exactly the same problem. Funkytwig how did you got it working?

Back