01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Remote CCTV camera for building site

cctvnewbie

Hi

We need to find a cctv camera or motion detection system to send alerts to mobiles. The problem is the building site is very remote but has good 3g and 4g coverage but we have no power so it must be battery operated. We have tried alarms and wildlife cameras but nothing is good enough so what would everyone recommend?

Thanks

For 3G/4G networking issues, dongles and routers I always direct people to Nucleus Networks - it's what they do.
The right kit will make your life so much simpler (fixed IP address, for instance) and potentially cheaper in the long-run (with a dongle or SIM that's appropriate for CCTV uplink data flows). A SIM/dongle bought from a High Street mobile phone shop will not be appropriate. Speak to Nucleus.

Having a 3G/4G router at site means that you effectively now have a network.
You can add any appropriate IP camera to that network, and configure all the normal stuff.
Let us know what you need it to do.

Next, you need to deal with the provision of power.
At its simplest, you use a 12 volt car battery and replace it every few days.

You can of course set up solar/wind charging of that battery.
You then of course need the charging control electronics as well as the solar panel and/or wind turbine.
You need to house all of the above in a weatherproof enclosure.
Build it and wire it.
It all adds-up.

Traditionally, I have referred folk needing this type of solution to Puurgen.
I just re-visited their website page for such solutions and note they now state a "starting cost of £3,900".

I'd be happy to hear from anybody who has better / more cost-effective solutions.

Back