01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Remote Connection Options

Woodyz82

Hi All

What options would people suggest for remote connections as such to my NVR.

Been having a good look around and been through a number of the sticky posts, I believe I have a few options, app wise the Hik Connect or iVMS 4500 and also dial straight into the NVR from phone / web browser. Both are simple to run on my lan network, but away from home I have a few options as I have a fairly decent aftermarket router (ASUS RT-AC87U)

Im in the UK with virgin as my isp who use dynamic ip.

So believe I can use the DDNS option from Hik, I can also use the built in ASUS DDNS on my router, or I could set my router to use static ip.

Aware I need to setup port forwarding which I tested last night successfully, spent a few hours mucking about with things.

Be interested to hear what options people are using and the pros and cons.

I have yet to setup an Hik account which I believe you can also link to your hardware, was just running app as a guest last night.

Hik-Connect is most comprehensive, secure, and straight forward to setup.

Thanks Phil,

Would you recommend just using that with DDNS? Either from my router or Hik

No need to configure DDNS nor port forwarding, the Hik-Connect solution manages it.
It securely calls back to their portal/servers, so that it can always be found.
i.e. if your ISP changes your current www IP address it gets automatically updated.

I think I get you!

I haven’t looked into this option as yet. What’s the www ip? Isn’t that the DDNS part?

Last edited:
I just meant your world wide web IP address, as distinct from an LAN IP address.
DDNS is not required with Hik-Connect.
DDNS provides a service to find your home/system on the web if your ISP changes your www IP address, as Virgin might do because you do not have a static address.
But, DDNS is not needed with Hik-Connect as it has a built-in solution to knowing your www IP address at any time, and feeding that back to the portal.

Thanks Phil

Makes sense Hik Connect sounds the easier setup.

Assume I would need DDNS and port forwarding setup if I wanted to view from a web browser / another PC. But given phones are almost a part of us - it’s unlikely not going to be far away!

Assume I would need DDNS and port forwarding setup if I wanted to view from a web browser / another PC.
Yes.

BTW - This new Post overnight by @Nigels89 illustrates an additional DDNS benefit that I was not aware of:

Thanks Phil,

I have read posts suggesting that using DDNS really speeds things up, especially if I use my ASUS router DDNS.

I suppose the best way is to trial all options!

Back