01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Replaced broken camera now can't get good picture

ed_theviking

Hi,

I have a Hikvision installed at home.
It's a DS-7204HGHI-F1 with three DS-2CE16C2T-VFIR3 cameras.
One of the cameras went bad and so the installer replaced it with a new one.
The new camera is a DS-2CE16D0T-VFIR3F.
Now I have 2 cameras with great image and the new one is a really bad image (the new camera).
I've called them several times and the final result is always the same. I personally think they don't know what they are doing. Also, they don't give me the admin password (they say that the user has the same accesses but by some tutorial I've seen, it seems not).
Anyway, I'm getting really tired of these guys that seem to be completely lost and giving "it's all we can do" answers and wanted to see if I could get this working right, or at least have some suggestion for them.
Attached are some screenshot. camera 1 is the new camera (bad image) and camera 3 is one of the older ones (good image).
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-01-08 at 22.23.51.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-08 at 22.23.51.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 145
  • Screenshot 2020-01-08 at 22.23.58.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-08 at 22.23.58.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Hi,
We never work with analogue/co-ax cameras, so haven't got any relevant experience I'm afraid.
Have you tried editing the settings of the new camera to be as per the others?
Generally we would recommend variable bitrate, with a high max, because constant and a limit on the bitrate can produce poor images as the camera tries to keep the bitrate low.
Also, I'd expect to see h.264 enabled, as it'll use less bandwidth and it should not be detrimental.
If the camera offers h.265 (or better still h.265+) then that is the CODEC we typically use with IP cameras now; most efficient, least bandwidth and storage, and no detriment.

Hi Phil,

unfortunally since the installer tries everything not to give me the admin password (the user they created for me is just "operator") I can't see the camera settings but they say they can't match it because of the protocol.
I contacted other company that works with Hikvision, they are going to send a technician as soon as they can, since I seem to be at a dead end. I'm going to see that other options you said as well.
thanks.

I don’t understand why you, the owner of the device can not have the admin user credentials.
Exactly my point. I asked for it to the technician that came here to install the new camera, his excuse was that the user they created for me had the same access. Later I checked that my user is "operator" and not "administrator".
I've sent several emails and called, and seems that I'm being ignored. I think it's a tricky way of holding the client, so everytime someone needs something that client needs to call them (and of course be charged for the work).
I already said to them "I payed for it, why am I locked out of something I bought?"
There are really bad professionals out there. And this is one of the biggest companies in my area not some dodgy installer! Really sick of them. I'll try their competitors next time, already searched and they seem to work with hikvision as well and better rated in google maps.
Other interesting thing, in Hik-connect they shared my cameras with me, instead of configuring them in my phone. This means they can see my cameras when they wish. I deactivated the Hik-connect and configured my own DNS and access with iVMS-4500 so only me and my wife can see the cameras. I really want to lawyer up, but the law in Portugal is so slow and time consuming that is not even worth it.

Wow that’s bad that they shared you the streams. I would feel very uncomfortable about that. Can’t you just reset the devices and set it all up yourself? Or are you not confident with this?

Wow that’s bad that they shared you the streams. I would feel very uncomfortable about that. Can’t you just reset the devices and set it all up yourself? Or are you not confident with this?
I also didn't felt comfortable with that, that's why I used my method to ban them from my stream. Then I tried on the hik-connect app to add the cameras directly (instead of having them shared with me) and the app said it they were already linked to other account and to remove them from there first.
I thought about reseting and try to reconfigure everything. It would the first time I'd do it, but with some search and maybe a tutorial I bet I could do it easily. The thing is, reseting won't remove/reset the admin user, am I right? Without their password I'm a bit stuck.
Even tried sending the file generated by the SAPDtool to hikvision for a password reset but am not getting a reply. Also tried the reset password tool that you can find online that gives the code to reset the password, but that don't work either (maybe some update, that tool seems to have a couple years).
I called them once again today, the receptionist said she would talk with the technicians, but by experience, I bet that will be another dead end. It's their last change, then I'll see when their competitors can schedule a visit, maybe they can solve all this mess (already contacted them and seemed very open about helping out). Of course it will cost me, but if it his to get rid of bad professionals I don't mind that much.

Absolutely unethical. I would find a way to wipe everything and start over.
I would expect this from a dogdy installer but this is a big company. Last time I called they told me "Ok we're going to send the password". Still waiting... I guess they are afraid that I'm going to their competition so they don't want to give me full access.

Why not send them a link to this thread and promise them more of the same reputational damage in other channels if they don't send you your password within one hour? Look up their chairman or CEO and be sure to copy him in. Usually works for me when I know I'm dealing with a dodgy outfit.

Why not send them a link to this thread and promise them more of the same reputational damage in other channels if they don't send you your password within one hour? Look up their chairman or CEO and be sure to copy him in. Usually works for me when I know I'm dealing with a dodgy outfit.
Last person I was on the phone was with the CEO. In the meanwhile today I went on a phone rampage. I've probably been on the phone with half the company. If I keep everyone busy they can't do any work, right? They will probably want to get rid of me. On the last call I was given a password. Just didn't updated here because I just wanted to see if it works first ;) But I think I finally have my admin password. With it I can even remove my cameras from the technician's phone. Finally!
They also said that they're checking with the supplier for a solution for the bad image quality. Even if that means replacing the camera.
Hope I am on the right track :)

And guess what! The password doesn't work! (only had time today)
Back to emails and phone calls!

Back