01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Replacing a Faulty Hikvision PoE Connector

Hi all. I stumbled across this thread looking for possible solutions to getting rid of the PoE wire completely. The plug is so big, when you’re passing the cables through an exterior wall you have to drill a really big hole. I’m not using the PoE option so I just want to snip it off. Is there a correct way to terminate the wire having done so? Thanks

Hi all. I stumbled across this thread looking for possible solutions to getting rid of the PoE wire completely. The plug is so big, when you’re passing the cables through an exterior wall you have to drill a really big hole. I’m not using the PoE option so I just want to snip it off. Is there a correct way to terminate the wire having done so? Thanks
Hi Chris, could you use a mount for the camera? I've got these on my Hikvision 4k turrets and the POE tail is coiled inside them meaning only my cat5e cable needed ran to the camera before I fitted the connector to it, so no connectors had to pass through holes in walls.

Thanks for your reply. What sort of mounts are you talking about here? I’ve not seen anything. It’s actually the EZVIZ camera I have - but I believe it’s just a rebranding of the HIK cameras.

Thanks for your reply. What sort of mounts are you talking about here? I’ve not seen anything. It’s actually the EZVIZ camera I have - but I believe it’s just a rebranding of the HIK cameras.
I've used similar to the one in the attached picture, unsure of which ones would fit your camera but there's plenty room to coli the cable and connectors inside it.

Attachments

• DS-1280ZJ-M-G-1100x1100.png
    DS-1280ZJ-M-G-1100x1100.png
    335.8 KB · Views: 595
Recently we've had a few customers who have experienced some issues with the PoE connectors on the pigtail of their Hikvision device that has caused it to stop receiving power. This can be as a result of a lot of things - faulty weatherproofing leading to corrosion within the connector, damaging it or just plain bad luck.

Hikvision themselves unfortunately do not offer replacement PoE connectors so you'll have to do a third-party workaround

We have since investigated this issue and found a way to replace the connector rather than necessitate a complete replacement. Thankfully it's relatively straightforward! All you'll need is a Cat5e surface mount box which can be found cheaply online and a punch-down tool.

In this guide, we used the Intellinet single-port Cat5e surface mount box and a damaged Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-I which you can purchase (undamaged, don't worry!) from our webshop.

First of all, you'll need to chop off the faulty PoE connector from the cable connecting it to the camera using a sharp tool, knife or pair of scissors even. It shouldn't matter a great deal where you cut the cable but it's preferable to do it close to the connector itself - try and keep the cut straight.

Now, strip the cable that you've left yourself with back approximately an inch to expose the 8 coloured wires within. Usually these cables are coloured to a very common standard but, presumably due to Hikvision being a Chinese product, the coloured wires may not follow this standard. Below is an image of what we were met with and what wire from the usual standard each colour corresponds to.

WIRING COLOURS
Hikvision -> Standard

Orange -> Orange & White
Yellow -> Orange
Green -> Green & White
Blue -> Green
Purple -> Blue & White
Grey -> Blue
Brown -> Brown & White
White -> Brown
It is absolutely vital you get this correct - the device will not function otherwise.

Now, take your surface mount box and open it to reveal the inside. It should look something similar to the below.

You'll note that there are two standards you can adhere to - the T568A and T568B standards. You'll need to follow the wiring pattern indicated by the T568B standard for this to work.

Now, take your exposed coloured wires and place each coloured wire into the corresponding slot on the surface mount box (with reference to the Hikvision colour conversion posted above). You'll need to punch them down using your punch-down tool.

When you're done, it should look something like this.

Once you've completed this, you're done! Simply secure the cable with a cable-tie if possible, close up the surface mount box and mount it to a wall if you require and the camera should be functioning perfectly fine once you connect a standard RJ45 network cable to the box.

A bit of a workaround, but definitely a lot better than having to replace the entire camera!

In this guide, we used the Intellinet single-port Cat5e surface mount box and a damaged Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-I which you can purchase (undamaged, don't worry!) from our webshop.

If you need any further help please don't hesitate to let us know either in this thread or at support@use-ip.co.uk

Thank you for your post!

My Hikvision has a very large pigtail and in the middle is a large round barrel. I'm fairly convinced that this is a 48vdc to 12vdc converter. My connector corroded and failed so I tool the camera apart. With 48vdc going to the pigtail I see 12vdc going to the 6 pin PCB connector inside the camera body.

Has anyone else seen this?

Ugh, welp I guess I was right. Seems this style pigtail steps the PoE voltage down to 12v. That stinks. The data wires are also connected to this circuit board so I wonder what else it is doing.

Attachments

• 20191108_160958.jpg
    20191108_160958.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 930
Thanks a LOT to the OP for this!
Worked a treat! :)

My fault to begin with for not sealing the camera correctly! - Just saved £100+ on a new camera! :D

Attachments

• IP Camera Repair.jpg
    IP Camera Repair.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,000
incase you want to attach a male rj45 and use a rj45 coupler, your plug should look like the attached image to comply with "B" type

Attachments

• hikvision rj45 adaption - Copy.jpg
    hikvision rj45 adaption - Copy.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2,572
My Hikvision has a very large pigtail and in the middle is a large round barrel. I'm fairly convinced that this is a 48vdc to 12vdc converter. My connector corroded and failed so I tool the camera apart. With 48vdc going to the pigtail I see 12vdc going to the 6 pin PCB connector inside the camera body.

Has anyone else seen this?
I have the same problem with my hikvision ds-2cd 2020f-i.
Did you find any solution about that board ?

Hi all,
Can anyone here help me with the actual wiring diagram inside the following cameras, I cant seem to find the diagrams anywhere online.
I'm using both the DS-2CD2343G0-i turret, and the DS-2CD2143G0-I vandal dome.

I ran a wire for the camera but somewhere along the way it was pinched, and the brown pair (brown and brown-white) are not coming up in the continuity test.

I got some sort of vague answer from other sources that say that you only need 6 conductors in the cat5/6 in order for the camera to work just fine, I just can't figure out what the layout of the wires need to be.

Hi, we have provided the only solution that we have proven at #1

There are lots of subsequent contributions that may help you to work out how to connect what you have purchased, but I'm afraid it's not possible for us here at use-IP to know nor test with that item, sorry.

Hi, we have provided the only solution that we have proven at #1

There are lots of subsequent contributions that may help you to work out how to connect what you have purchased, but I'm afraid it's not possible for us here at use-IP to know nor test with that item, sorry.

I have part of this problem with my 4220 PTZ camera. Its this model actually, HIKVISION DS-2DE4220-AE3 2mp 4 Inch Indoor Network Speed PTZ Dome CCTV Camera | eBay

I can see it powering up and completing its home run sequence, however the RJ45 cable will not light the light on any connection port its plugged into. Its running POE, through the RJ45 cable. I have replaced the POE injector, and the cables thus, I suspect the female RJ45 connector terminal, I must look at it with a magnifying glass.

Is there anyway of testing the female RJ45 port to see are the terminals not making I wonder ? or is it a replace and see.

Thanks a LOT to the OP for this!
Worked a treat! :)

My fault to begin with for not sealing the camera correctly! - Just saved £100+ on a new camera! :D
Hi, I got exactly the same problem. In fact, two of my cameras have gone down because I think water got into the connector. These cameras have a serious flaw when it comes to waterproofing the connector. Anyway, Would you mind telling me where the instructions are that you followed in order to change the connector?

I managed to pull the RJ45 plug off the end of one of my cameras when I had to pull it out of a hole that was too small for it to go through. Many thanks for sharing this Kieran as you've saved me a lot of hassle trying to work out the strange wiring colours myself.

However, after following your wiring colours above as I still couldn't get it to work. As you had started with the first 3 T568B colours in order I wrongly assumed that carried on. Finally figured out the next day with a clear head that I messed up the wiring. If it makes it easier for anybody here is Kieran's list in the standard T568B ordering from pins 1 to 8.

Hikvision - T568B

Orange ----- Orange / White
Yellow ------ Orange
Green ------ Green / White
Grey -------- Blue
Purple ------ Blue / White
Blue -------- Green
Brown ------ Brown / White
White ------- Brown​

I did mine slightly differently and put a standard RJ45 plug on the camera end and used a cheap coupler I had knocking about similar to the one below.

31ZPYPnhDcL.jpg
Hi, Hope you're still active, did you attach the coupler directly to the end of the cctv? I want to try it with mine but I don't know where to match colors with the coupler. Kindly simplify terms as I don't have knowledge to CCTV technical terms. Thanks alot man.

Attachments

• IMG_20210118_085404_855.jpg
    IMG_20210118_085404_855.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,482
Hi @Knt

In regards to the coupler, what JB meant was that they had terminated the camera's network cable with a standard RJ45 plug and then plugged that into the coupler, you do not need to wire the coupler to the camera's network cable.

If you google for 'How to terminate a network cable?' you should find lots of useful images and videos, like this YouTube demo for example.

Reactions: Knt
Hi @Knt

In regards to the coupler, what JB meant was that they had terminated the camera's network cable with a standard RJ45 plug and then plugged that into the coupler, you do not need to wire the coupler to the camera's network cable.

If you google for 'How to terminate a network cable?' you should find lots of useful images and videos, like this YouTube demo for example.
Oh shoot, sorry for my english comprehension. My third language. By the way I used Ian Martin's arrangement of color and it work. Thank you all. I saved some bucks from these hacks. I appreciate this platform.

Attachments

• IMG_20210119_094058_176.jpg
    IMG_20210119_094058_176.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2,858
Last edited:
Reactions: Dan
Recently we've had a few customers who have experienced some issues with the PoE connectors on the pigtail of their Hikvision device that has caused it to stop receiving power. This can be as a result of a lot of things - faulty weatherproofing leading to corrosion within the connector, damaging it or just plain bad luck.

Hikvision themselves unfortunately do not offer replacement PoE connectors so you'll have to do a third-party workaround

We have since investigated this issue and found a way to replace the connector rather than necessitate a complete replacement. Thankfully it's relatively straightforward! All you'll need is a Cat5e surface mount box which can be found cheaply online and a punch-down tool.

First of all, you'll need to chop off the faulty PoE connector from the cable connecting it to the camera using a sharp tool, knife or pair of scissors even. It shouldn't matter a great deal where you cut the cable but it's preferable to do it close to the connector itself - try and keep the cut straight.

Now, strip the cable that you've left yourself with back approximately an inch to expose the 8 coloured wires within. Usually these cables are coloured to a very common standard but, presumably due to Hikvision being a Chinese product, the coloured wires may not follow this standard. Below is an image of what we were met with and what wire from the usual standard each colour corresponds to.

WIRING COLOURS
Hikvision -> Standard

Orange -> Orange & White
Yellow -> Orange
Green -> Green & White
Blue -> Green
Purple -> Blue & White
Grey -> Blue
Brown -> Brown & White
White -> Brown
It is absolutely vital you get this correct - the device will not function otherwise.

Now, take your surface mount box and open it to reveal the inside. It should look something similar to the below.

You'll note that there are two standards you can adhere to - the T568A and T568B standards. You'll need to follow the wiring pattern indicated by the T568B standard for this to work.

Now, take your exposed coloured wires and place each coloured wire into the corresponding slot on the surface mount box (with reference to the Hikvision colour conversion posted above). You'll need to punch them down using your punch-down tool.

When you're done, it should look something like this.

Once you've completed this, you're done! Simply secure the cable with a cable-tie if possible, close up the surface mount box and mount it to a wall if you require and the camera should be functioning perfectly fine once you connect a standard RJ45 network cable to the box.

A bit of a workaround, but definitely a lot better than having to replace the entire camera!

If you need any further help please don't hesitate to let us know either in this thread or at support@use-ip.co.uk
How would you waterproof the surface mount box?

Back