01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Replacing a Faulty Hikvision PoE Connector

Kieran

Knows a LOT of stuff
Trusted Member
Replacing a Faulty Hikvision PoE Connector
Recently we've had a few customers who have experienced some issues with the PoE connectors on the pigtail of their Hikvision device that has caused it to stop receiving power. This can be as a result of a lot of things - faulty weatherproofing leading to corrosion within the connector, damaging it or just plain bad luck.

Hikvision themselves unfortunately do not offer replacement PoE connectors so you'll have to do a third-party workaround

We have since investigated this issue and found a way to replace the connector rather than necessitate a complete replacement. Thankfully it's relatively straightforward! All you'll need is a Cat5e surface mount box which can be found cheaply online and a punch-down tool.

In this guide, we used the Intellinet single-port Cat5e surface mount box and a damaged Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-I which you can purchase (undamaged, don't worry!) from our webshop.

First of all, you'll need to chop off the faulty PoE connector from the cable connecting it to the camera using a sharp tool, knife or pair of scissors even. It shouldn't matter a great deal where you cut the cable but it's preferable to do it close to the connector itself - try and keep the cut straight.

Now, strip the cable that you've left yourself with back approximately an inch to expose the 8 coloured wires within. Usually these cables are coloured to a very common standard but, presumably due to Hikvision being a Chinese product, the coloured wires may not follow this standard. Below is an image of what we were met with and what wire from the usual standard each colour corresponds to.

WIRING COLOURS
Hikvision -> Standard

Orange -> Orange & White
Yellow -> Orange
Green -> Green & White
Blue -> Green
Purple -> Blue & White
Grey -> Blue
Brown -> Brown & White
White -> Brown
It is absolutely vital you get this correct - the device will not function otherwise.

Now, take your surface mount box and open it to reveal the inside. It should look something similar to the below.

You'll note that there are two standards you can adhere to - the T568A and T568B standards. You'll need to follow the wiring pattern indicated by the T568B standard for this to work.

Now, take your exposed coloured wires and place each coloured wire into the corresponding slot on the surface mount box (with reference to the Hikvision colour conversion posted above). You'll need to punch them down using your punch-down tool.

When you're done, it should look something like this.

Once you've completed this, you're done! Simply secure the cable with a cable-tie if possible, close up the surface mount box and mount it to a wall if you require and the camera should be functioning perfectly fine once you connect a standard RJ45 network cable to the box.

A bit of a workaround, but definitely a lot better than having to replace the entire camera!

In this guide, we used the Intellinet single-port Cat5e surface mount box and a damaged Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-I which you can purchase (undamaged, don't worry!) from our webshop.

If you need any further help please don't hesitate to let us know either in this thread or at support@use-ip.co.uk

Last edited:
I managed to pull the RJ45 plug off the end of one of my cameras when I had to pull it out of a hole that was too small for it to go through. Many thanks for sharing this Kieran as you've saved me a lot of hassle trying to work out the strange wiring colours myself.

However, after following your wiring colours above as I still couldn't get it to work. As you had started with the first 3 T568B colours in order I wrongly assumed that carried on. Finally figured out the next day with a clear head that I messed up the wiring. If it makes it easier for anybody here is Kieran's list in the standard T568B ordering from pins 1 to 8.

Hikvision - T568B
Orange ----- Orange / White
Yellow ------ Orange
Green ------ Green / White
Grey -------- Blue
Purple ------ Blue / White
Blue -------- Green
Brown ------ Brown / White
White ------- Brown​

I did mine slightly differently and put a standard RJ45 plug on the camera end and used a cheap coupler I had knocking about similar to the one below.

31ZPYPnhDcL.jpg

THIS PROGRAMMING ALSO SERVED FOR THE MODEL IP-CAMERA DS-2CD2032-I AND IF IT IS NOT THAT YOU CAN HELP ME WITH THE CORRECT ORDER OF CABLES FOR THAT CAMERA. THANK YOU.

Last edited by a moderator:
THIS PROGRAMMING ALSO SERVED FOR THE MODEL IP-CAMERA DS-2CD2032-I AND IF IT IS NOT THAT YOU CAN HELP ME WITH THE CORRECT ORDER OF CABLES FOR THAT CAMERA. THANK YOU.

Yes, the cabling would be correct for that camera model.

hi phil,

do you know if this cabling layout would be the same for camera DS-2CD2135FWD-I?

i believe i have damaged the POE connector and wanted to try this fix before binning it!

thanks
Kevin

I don't know, but if you see the same core colours then we'd assume so

I've just changed the PoE connector on a recent (2018) DS-2CD2032F-I and found that the wiring colours have changed again. Mine is up and working with PoE using the following pins/colours:

Hikvision: T568B
Black: Orange/white​
Brown: Orange​
Green: Green/white​
Orange: Blue​
Red: Blue/white​
Yellow: Green​
Purple: Brown/white​
Blue: Brown​

Hope this helps someone, of course the next camera could be different again!

Last edited:
hi Ian,

thanks for the update, i tried this on a camera that is unused (but broken POE connector) and noticed that on the list you have the Hikvision colour black used twice?!

thanks in advance

Kevin

hi Ian,

thanks for the update, i tried this on a camera that is unused (but broken POE connector) and noticed that on the list you have the Hikvision colour black used twice?!

thanks in advance

Kevin

Sorry, the last pin should be Blue on the camera connects to Brown on the Cat5 - I've corrected the list! I got my Bu, Bk and Bn mixed up! It does work - pic from the camera attached.
2018-06-12.jpg

Last edited:
This does make me wonder about dielectric grease in the connectors, to protect them against corrosion.
Searched that topic a while back with no great success.

Do know that my Davis Weather station, which has 6 RJ-11 jacks on it's control board did arrive this it's jacks all generously coated with some type of dielectric grease.

Phil.

Hi , could someone please help I have a FreddI cctv and I have cut through the cable I bought a new ethernet box but the colours are different with no reference on line , the colours are purple ,black , green, blue, green/white and blue/white,
Thank you Tim

Attachments

• 15300950549162106197614.jpg
    15300950549162106197614.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 19,064
  • 15300953629791007451967.jpg
    15300953629791007451967.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 4,421
Sorry, you'd need to contact the manufacturer for their colour code.

I did and they said I need to contact a electronic expert :D

If you still have the part with the plug attached, you could find someone who owns a multi-meter & knows how to use it.
They would be able to easily trace the 8 pins to their colours.

Phil.

Hello all,
Just what I was looking for. Hate to resurrect a sleeping thread, but hopefully somewhere , someone subscribed to updates on the thread :)

Is it normally possible (of course it is possible, but is it likely) that the wire connections are fubar'd from Hik from day 1?

I have a Hik dome (Chinese version, I am in the Philippines) DS-2CD3335-i, mfg in 2016, that does not play well with our system. It works a bit and then goes off and sometimes the Cisco POE switch disables the port (for some obscure reason)

The wiring of the pigtail seems really weird to me. Here's a drawing of the connection from the RJ45 end and the molex plug end.

Hik plug.jpg

Does this wiring seem right, Green/white & Blue/white are not connected to anything on the molex? I tested it twice to be sure and this is the way it rolls.

Cheers,
MadDogDean

Last edited:
Hi MadDogDean,

That does look odd from the point of view of the data connections. A quick thought, does the camera also have a power jack for an external power supply? It might be worth trying that and connecting the camera to a non-PoE switch, just in case the power requirements are different (or faulty).

HTH,

Ian

Hello all,
Just what I was looking for. Hate to resurrect a sleeping thread, but hopefully somewhere , someone subscribed to updates on the thread :)

Is it normally possible (of course it is possible, but is it likely) that the wire connections are fubar'd from Hik from day 1?

I have a Hik dome (Chinese version, I am in the Philippines) DS-2CD3335-i, mfg in 2016, that does not play well with our system. It works a bit and then goes off and sometimes the Cisco POE switch disables the port (for some obscure reason)

The wiring of the pigtail seems really weird to me. Here's a drawing of the connection from the RJ45 end and the molex plug end.

View attachment 1278

Does this wiring seem right, Green/white & Blue/white are not connected to anything on the molex? I tested it twice to be sure and this is the way it rolls.

Cheers,
MadDogDean

Hey Ian, thanks for the advice, but I managed to sort it yesterday.

Our camera has a pigtail with an RJ45 and a 12v plug, and it does support PoE. The problem though, as it showed in my drawing was a disconnect on the green/white and blue/white wires. In the molded wire split, there was a bad connect on those two wires. They would only work once in a while when the wire was wiggled "just right".

Long story short, I cut the wire, put a new RJ45 socket and all works like a charm!

Cheers & thanks.

Hi All,
Installed a DS-2CD2H85FWD 4K varifocal turret camera last week, it worked for a day then stopped, seemed a bit damp in the RJ45 socket when I took it down, this camera doesn't have the little pigtail extension cable though, it has a little connector module screwed into the inside of the hinged lid. Has anyone tried to fix one of these or is it possible to buy the connector module anywhere and swap it myself?
Photo attached.

Ta

Attachments

• IMG_20190102_195209.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 3,227
Hate to necro this thread, but I wanted to give a shout-out to the OP. I had a Trendnet TV-IP310PI that had a corroded Ethernet socket from being used outdoors for 3 years. Was able to snip off the ethernet connector on the camera, and fixed it using the instructions in the OP's post above. Now it's back up and running!

Hi All,
Installed a DS-2CD2H85FWD 4K varifocal turret camera last week, it worked for a day then stopped, seemed a bit damp in the RJ45 socket when I took it down, this camera doesn't have the little pigtail extension cable though, it has a little connector module screwed into the inside of the hinged lid. Has anyone tried to fix one of these or is it possible to buy the connector module anywhere and swap it myself?
Photo attached.

Ta
In principle it should be similar. Try removing the two screws holding the ports to the hinge, and see if you can wiggle free the ethernet jack. See what it looks like.

Back