01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Running cctv on seperate network whilst still making it accessible through mobile app

djanyd1

Hi everyone,

Basically i would like to have my hikvision ds-7208huhi-k1 on a seperate network with its own router but id still like to be able to access the cameras via mobile app.

i currently have the standard fibre optic virgin router.

is it possible for me to install another router which is dedicated to my cctv system and smart home devices such as hue lighting and leave all my other devices such as laptops and smart tvs running off the virgin router.

im just after some advice on it and if anyone has done it before.

i know it should be fairly straight forward to install a new router and put my cctv on that network but i can not get my head around sharing the internet connection to both routers. i have looked it up on youtube etc but people go on about changing firmware on the routers etc which is a bit above my technical abilities if you know what i mean.

Hi Phil,

I'm just trying to keep my cctv and smart home items running on one network and laptops and tvs etc on another. Having everything running through one router is slowing things down and some times causing connection issues.

Run them all through a decent gigabit switch instead of the router.

Hi magic 919,

Just had a quick read up on a gigabit switch looks like it might be what I'm after. Any suggestions on what is a decent gigabit switch?

One other thing I should have mentioned was i was hoping to broadcast the cctv around my home to be viewed from wall mounted android tablets using the hikvison app. I have tested this and not been happy with the results as due to the signal being sent over Wi-Fi the images freeze or delayed hence the reason why I thought putting the cctv on a separate network would be better. I am looking into a rf modulator to broadcast the cctv around the home but this will involve running cable to every monitor.

Mine is a TP Link. I’d expect Netgear or any of the bigger brands to be fine.

Maybe your wifi is not so good. I use separate devices for that too, as the stuff built into routers isn’t always great. I use Apple Airport and they are fine. Added a Ubiquiti UniFi, but setting up is a bit more work.

Back