01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Same or different subnet to network?

aj84

Hi all,

Been lurking on this forum for months just taking in all the information but now I finally have a query regarding subnets.
Yesterday I replaced by dying RG59+2 setup of 8 cams and a Hikvision DVR with a DS-7616NI-I2 (Non-POE) NVR and a range of Hikvision cameras (again 8 in total).
Everything is up and ready to be connected to a network.

Hardware:
I have a Netgear POE switch 8xpoe, 8x normal (JGS516PE) I could use or a 24 port (GS728TP). The idea is not to increase external cameras as 8 is more than enough but may add a couple inside on POE (Hikvision Cubes)
Both switches go to a Draytek router which runs over FTTP.
Currently the 24 port is in-use as I have around 16 devices already on cable leaving 8 free.

Options:
This is where I would like some ideas or assistance in deciding

1. Cameras set to same IP as network (1.x range) and add them the 8 port switch. Internal cameras can go on the 24 port. This would leave 8 non-poe free.
2. Cameras get set to another subnet, add to the 8 port
3. Cameras go onto the 24 port with the scope of internal cameras also going on there. This would mean my 16 port would be maxed out
3a: This could be same subnet or different subnet to rest of the network.
4. ???

I suppose the real question here is not about switch but whether I should be looking at having the cameras + NVR on a sep subnet or not. It would be via a vlan either way from the Draytek.

My only reason of wanting it on the main network is we have a fair bit of home automation and it would be great to get the cameras on it but this would require everything being on the same network.

Thanks in advance

What benefit would it bring by adding the cameras to a separate subnet?

I know the Drayteks are capable of doing Vlans and obviously the switch will be but I am not sure what you are trying to achieve by doing this?

Things like Airplay or any other protocol which uses a discovery method will fail to work across Vlans as they use broadcast/multicast.

Unless you plan to use the Draytek to restrict the IP subnets sending traffic to each other or want to restrict access to the internet for the Camera subnet, I am not sure what you would be gaining by doing it.

Thanks for the reply
I left it all on the same in the end and just monitor the subnet traffic.
Most of the time there is about 40-50% load on the subnet across about 40 reserved IPs from tablets, home automation, media devices etc
I suppose the main query was if the subnet got overly busy, would it impact the cameras and would it be better to put them on a different subnet altogether.

What I ended up doing is put the big swith (24) as the main devices switch and put all the cameras (external) on the 16 port (8x poe)
Any additional camera (internal) are going on the 24 port unless I see any performance issues.

Thanks again

Creating more vlans/subnets is not going to give you more bandwidth. Bandwidth is dictated by the port speeds and the backplane of the switch, some cheaper switches cannot do line rate for every port for example but splitting the devices into two different ip ranges is not going to magically give more bandwidth.

The only benefit I can see from an additional vlan is if your existing devices are overly chatty in terms of multicast/broadcast as these could impact your cameras if there are a large number of them.

How are you seeing the 40% utilised figure?

Back