01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Setting up motion event settings - NVR or IP Cam? (SOLVED)

kenzo33

Hi,

After updating to 4.00+ FW, and updating cameras, I have noticed there are motion setting options on the cam IP page that there isn't on the NVR e.g "Expert" Motion settings which allows you to customise a box area with sensitivity and percentage.

My questions
1)Do the settings made on the cam IP web portal trump the settings on NVR web portal?
2)Should I be setting up motion /events on each cam IP web portal separately or NVR web portal?
3)If I should be setting up motion/events on the cam IP webpage, should I disable the motion/event settings on NVR or leave them enabled and the same as the IP cam settings?
4)If "Expert" motion settings are use, is the "basic" chequered box rule ignored?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi,

After updating to 4.00+ FW, and updating cameras, I have noticed there are motion setting options on the cam IP page that there isn't on the NVR e.g "Expert" Motion settings which allows you to customise a box area with sensitivity and percentage.

My questions
1)Do the settings made on the cam IP web portal trump the settings on NVR web portal?
2)Should I be setting up motion /events on each cam IP web portal separately or NVR web portal?
3)If I should be setting up motion/events on the cam IP webpage, should I disable the motion/event settings on NVR or leave them enabled and the same as the IP cam settings?
4)If "Expert" motion settings are use, is the "basic" chequered box rule ignored?

Thanks

1 - the settings on the NVR are applied to the camera so they’re the same. Depending on the firmware and model of the NVR you may have more or less available in the NVR GUI.

2-set what you can on the NVR. Once complete go to the camera GUI and set the additional items up as necessary

3-as said in 1 - the change you make in the NVR is set and saved on the camera so it’s not a setting in the NVR as such. The NVR GUI is just a convenient method for programming and displaying the settings of the connected cam

4- I believe so

The above also applies to other camera settings. For instance you may only have compression, resolution, frame rate and bit rate available to set using the NVR. While in the camera you can also set I frame, shutter speed, smoothing. Set the available items using the NVR and anything that you can’t afterwards using the camera. This ensures that what is displayed on the NVR menu is up to date without the need to reboot it to re read the connected cameras parameters.

1 - the settings on the NVR are applied to the camera so they’re the same. Depending on the firmware and model of the NVR you may have more or less available in the NVR GUI.

2-set what you can on the NVR. Once complete go to the camera GUI and set the additional items up as necessary

3-as said in 1 - the change you make in the NVR is set and saved on the camera so it’s not a setting in the NVR as such. The NVR GUI is just a convenient method for programming and displaying the settings of the connected cam

4- I believe so

The above also applies to other camera settings. For instance you may only have compression, resolution, frame rate and bit rate available to set using the NVR. While in the camera you can also set I frame, shutter speed, smoothing. Set the available items using the NVR and anything that you can’t afterwards using the camera. This ensures that what is displayed on the NVR menu is up to date without the need to reboot it to re read the connected cameras parameters.

Thanks. The whole reason why I am asking is because I am trying to get event markers to show on the NVRs web portal. Any idea why I can't see smart events or motion event markers on playback in big screen with the option enabled in the bottom left? Rules is "enabled"

Thanks. The whole reason why I am asking is because I am trying to get event markers to show on the NVRs web portal. Any idea why I can't see smart events or motion event markers on playback in big screen with the option enabled in the bottom left? Rules is "enabled"

I don’t think you can get event markers on the web portal - all that Rules will enable is being able to see the events such as motion, line crossing, intrusion on the live view. The alarm event markers aren’t even available in the NVR playback timeline on a locally connected monitor anymore - only smart events are viewable and to see alarms you have to faff around with custom playback. Version 3 firmware, for all it lacked some features, displayed events etc better

I don’t think you can get event markers on the web portal - all that Rules will enable is being able to see the events such as motion, line crossing, intrusion on the live view. The alarm event markers aren’t even available in the NVR playback timeline on a locally connected monitor anymore - only smart events are viewable and to see alarms you have to faff around with custom playback. Version 3 firmware, for all it lacked some features, displayed events etc better

Thanks, very succinct advice. Much appreciated.

Back