01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Setting up New CCTV

DavidNew

Hi Everyone, first post here, never setup a CCTV system before so I'm looking for some advice please.

I am planning on purchasing 4 2CD2386G2-I/GREY Hikvision cameras. The stumbling block is what NVR to buy, I basically want an NVR that makes next to no noise which would rule out the obvious choice DS-7608NI-I2/8P as all the reviews I read say that it is very loud. Any sound to me will be annoying (i'm a person who cant stand a clock ticking). I could get the 4 port version which I believe has no fans, but I think at some point I will need to add a 5th camera.

Can I buy two 4 port NVRs and connect them together, or is there another brand 8 port NVR that is silent out there that will work fine with Hikvision cameras?

I just want to know what options I have.

I am a bit against buying an NVR then taking it to bits to change the fan to try to make it quiet.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Everyone, first post here, never setup a CCTV system before so I'm looking for some advice please.

I am planning on purchasing 4 2CD2386G2-I/GREY Hikvision cameras. The stumbling block is what NVR to buy, I basically want an NVR that makes next to no noise which would rule out the obvious choice DS-7608NI-I2/8P as all the reviews I read say that it is very loud. Any sound to me will be annoying (i'm a person who cant stand a clock ticking). I could get the 4 port version which I believe has no fans, but I think at some point I will need to add a 5th camera.

Can I buy two 4 port NVRs and connect them together, or is there another brand 8 port NVR that is silent out there that will work fine with Hikvision cameras?

I just want to know what options I have.

I am a bit against buying an NVR then taking it to bits to change the fan to try to make it quiet.

Thanks in advance for your help.

You can't connect 2 x 4-port Hikvision NVRs together but you could use a VMS (Video Management Software) like Hikvision's own free iVMS-4200 and that will allow you to add all the Hikvision devices on your network and live stream, playback, and manage them from one piece of software.

Alternatively, if you did want to look at a larger NVR that is fanless then we would recommend the Milesight UI-1009-NA 9-channel Mini NVR which can support up to 9 cameras, but do be aware that this is a non-PoE model with no camera PoE ports, it only supports 1 x HDD, and as it is a different manufacturer you would have to add the cameras to the NVR using ONVIF which is a universal standard allowing you to connect devices from different brands but as it is universal you will not be able to use certain camera-specific smart features & smart compression CODECs.

Thanks Dan, at least I would have some options then if I have more than 4 cameras.

If I were to use the MIlesight NVR that you recommended, what features that the 2CD2386G2-I/GREY camera has, would I lose.

Thanks Dan, at least I would have some options then if I have more than 4 cameras.

If I were to use the MIlesight NVR that you recommended, what features that the 2CD2386G2-I/GREY camera has, would I lose.

it is difficult to say as it will vary camera to camera, based on the features each model supports. With the 2386G2-I you can expect to not be able to record using any of the smart events features (Perimeter Protection: line crossing detection, intrusion detection, region entrance detection, region exiting detection [Human&Vehicle classification]) and you also won't be able to record using H.265+ smart compression which will reduce the amount of footage you can record.

Ah okay, so its an easy decision then, I go with the Hikvision NVR :) They are all the features that I need.

If I need more than 4 cameras in the future, I will have to address that problem then, hopefully Hikvision will have released an NVR that isnt loud.

Thanks for your help.

@Dan

Hi Dan, just another quick question, one of the locations I want to put a camera is pictured below, basically side entrance to house, its completely dark (i need to fit lighting). What camera do you recommend for there? I think the 2CD2386G2-I/GREY would be overkill, maybe?

Attachments

• 20200207_124511584_iOS.png
    20200207_124511584_iOS.png
    15.5 MB · Views: 210
@Dan

Hi Dan, just another quick question, one of the locations I want to put a camera is pictured below, basically side entrance to house, its completely dark (i need to fit lighting). What camera do you recommend for there? I think the 2CD2386G2-I/GREY would be overkill, maybe?

A turret could work in that location but we would recommend that you use a narrow 6mm focal length to cover this area, this is because if you go too wide you will be wasting lots of your field of view on the walls. another option that we often recommend for narrow spaces and corridors is the Mini Bullets like the DS-2CD2085G1-I which can be angled a bit better to look along the surface they are mounted to. Also, both these models should support the corridor mode that allows you to flip the cameras FoV so that you have a very tall and narrow image which is great for small spaces like what you have above.

Back