01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Smart events event markers not showing in the timeline for my DS 7204HUHI-K1 DVR?

RayV

Hi All, I've looked all over here, and the rest of the internet, to see if I can solve a problem but can't find my exact problem. I have a DS 7204HUHI-K1 linked to 3x DS-2CE72HFT-F28
The problem I have is 2 cameras show up the red "markers" on the events but the 3rd doesn't. All 3 cameras send me notifications to my phone when an event happens and all 3 make my TV go to full screen when an event happens.
I'll admit I'm not very good at all this technical stuff but I can't help thinking something hasn't been set up correctly, any help is appreciated.

Hi All, I've looked all over here, and the rest of the internet, to see if I can solve a problem but can't find my exact problem. I have a DS 7204HUHI-K1 linked to 3x DS-2CE72HFT-F28
The problem I have is 2 cameras show up the red "markers" on the events but the 3rd doesn't. All 3 cameras send me notifications to my phone when an event happens and all 3 make my TV go to full screen when an event happens.
I'll admit I'm not very good at all this technical stuff but I can't help thinking something hasn't been set up correctly, any help is appreciated.

On that DVR model you have, there is no setting that enables or disables the event markers in the video timeline. You say that the alarms from all 3 cameras are activating full screen monitoring and sending notifications to your phone so that's good and proves that they are configured correctly.

I have known the event markers "go missing" from the timeline - I had another installer contact me with this problem around a month ago. In that instance it was the smart search that wouldn't work and regardless of where he searched on the footage, it would find no activity and therefore put no markers on the timeline. After 15 minutes of head scratching we fixed it with the magic reboot! Shutdown the DVR from the menu and when you get the prompt to power off the machine, do so. Wait 30 seconds and power it on again. In our case this resolved the issue and the event markers appeared again.

Thanks very much for that JB1970. I'll give that a try, what could possibly go wrong :)

I tried what you suggested unfortunately it didn't work. I'm useless at this sort of thing so can't work out why 2 out of 3 would work?

I tried what you suggested unfortunately it didn't work. I'm useless at this sort of thing so can't work out why 2 out of 3 would work?

OK it was worth a try. One thing you can check either with the local menu on your DVR, or using a web browser to login.

In the events section check the settings are the same for all three cameras. The picture attached shows what you should have checked for all three cameras if it's motion detection that you have set. I have an inkling that the camera that is missing markers will have will have its "Trigger Channel" box unchecked (Cam 1 should have Trigger Channel A1 checked by default, Cam 2 Channel A2 etc) - if so check it and click save. The image I've attached shows the setting using a web browser but you'll find it also using the monitor/TV and mouse.

Screenshot 2020-11-17 at 09.40.43.png

Last edited:
Thanks for this. I've checked and it was ticked, so just to see if it hadn't saved correctly originally I unticked it and saved it then came off that page, went back on re ticked it and saved it but it still doesn't work. Bugger

Thanks for this. I've checked and it was ticked, so just to see if it hadn't saved correctly originally I unticked it and saved it then came off that page, went back on re ticked it and saved it but it still doesn't work. Bugger
I'm clutching at straws a bit now, but I'm assuming that it's motion detection that your using on all 3 cameras for the alerts? If so, uncheck the "Enable Motion Detection" box and save, then recheck the box and save.

Thanks I appreciate your help. Here's the latest, hold on tight and apologies if this turns into the most basic of things.

The 2 cameras that are showing red markers have normal event motion detection enabled but also have smart event line crossing, the camera that isn't showing red markers only has normal event motion detection but has the trigger ticked as you suggested.
If I put smart event line crossing on the other camera I get a message saying something along the lines of "not enough resource disable line crossing on another camera", so I've done that and lo and behold I have red markers on that camera now, but as you can guess I've lost them on the other camera.

So is this normal? If it is I don't know why I've been sold a system that doesn't support all cameras??

Thanks I appreciate your help. Here's the latest, hold on tight and apologies if this turns into the most basic of things.

The 2 cameras that are showing red markers have normal event motion detection enabled but also have smart event line crossing, the camera that isn't showing red markers only has normal event motion detection but has the trigger ticked as you suggested.
If I put smart event line crossing on the other camera I get a message saying something along the lines of "not enough resource disable line crossing on another camera", so I've done that and lo and behold I have red markers on that camera now, but as you can guess I've lost them on the other camera.

So is this normal? If it is I don't know why I've been sold a system that doesn't support all cameras??

Ok. No it's totally normal. So the event markers are showing smart events (line crossing) as opposed to basic events (motion). It is normal for that model.

With regard to the "not enough resources" message. You have a HDTVI rather than an IP system. Your cameras send high definition video over traditional coaxial cabling to a DVR (Digital Video Recorder). As the recorder has to do more work than an NVR (Network Video Recorder) in an IP system - they are limited in resources. In an IP system, each camera does it's own work so to speak so the recorder just records the ready encoded and compressed video stream from each camera. You will find that Smart Events are limited to a couple of cameras and also that you may be limited to recording the cameras at a maximum of 12 frames per second unless you lower the resolution.

You'll find a box marked "Enhanced VCA Mode" on the main settings page. If you enable that you can have line crossing on the other camera but it will limit something else. A message will pop up to warn you what it limits - from memory if you have a 5MP DVR with 5MP cameras it will limit you to recording at 2MP.

Last edited:
Thanks. I've done as you say but now all cameras are saying no video. I guess something else needs changing. I really appreciate your help

Thanks. I've done as you say but now all cameras are saying no video. I guess something else needs changing. I really appreciate your help

What was the warning that popped up when you enabled "Enhanced VCA Mode"? If it was that it will only support 2MP, then you'd need to change the video settings from 5MP to 2MP. You may be able to leave the cameras set at 5MP but set them to record at 2MP in the video settings or you may have to also set the cameras themselves to 2MP. I wouldn't recommend "Enhanced VCA mode" just to get line crossing on your third camera as you'll be halving the resolution/detail on all three cameras just to get that single feature. To get it back how it was, you can just uncheck the Enhanced VCA mode and the images will come back after the DVR reboots.

If it's a feature that you MUST have and you're happy to have less image quality I can talk you through altering the camera settings to 2 megapixel and then the recording resolution to match, but as I said you'll be potentially losing valuable detail from your footage.

Yes that was the exact message, I did just uncheck it and let it reboot.
Yep, I take your point about the lower resolution, it wasn't so much the line crossing being added it was the missing red markers that was the issue, but if it's still sending notifications to my phone then I guess I'll just have to live with it and not get stressed.
Although knowing me I'll be back here in a few days when its drove me nuts.
Thank you very much for all your help and the offer to talk me through it, it is most appreciated

Yes that was the exact message, I did just uncheck it and let it reboot.
Yep, I take your point about the lower resolution, it wasn't so much the line crossing being added it was the missing red markers that was the issue, but if it's still sending notifications to my phone then I guess I'll just have to live with it and not get stressed.
Although knowing me I'll be back here in a few days when its drove me nuts.
Thank you very much for all your help and the offer to talk me through it, it is most appreciated
No problem - glad I could help

Back