01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Smart Events not activating by camera

rosswill

New user here. Apologies if this has been asked before. I have 3 new DS-2CD2086G2-I cameras and an NVR DS-7608NI-I2/8P. All 4 units are on the network. I'm not using the POE ports on the NVR. I have setup smart events including line crossing and intrusion. I receive alerts and emails for both from the NVR when this is selected, but cannot appear to get these directly from the cameras. When I log into the camera via a web browser I can successfully send a test email, and I can see all the notifications and smart events setup. Using iVMS-4200 for OSX I can browse through the logs. When I have the cameras set to log events I cannot activate them by walking across the lines or zones. When the NVR is selected to log events I get notifications from the NVR and emails. In this case the remote logs from the camera are: iVMS show alarm - line crossing - local - Camera 01 but when this is deactivated on the NVR I get notinging logged at all for these events.
The NVR is set to continuous recoding. Everything has the latest firmware updated. Everything appears to be configured correctly but there is something I have done wrong clearly. I maybe missing something really simple here please help! Thank you.

edit - 1 out of 3 cameras appear to now be registering the events. I have checked through all settings I can find on the other 2 and they appear to be identical.

Last edited:
You should set up the events in the NVR only NOT the camera directly. Although you have your cameras on the network as opposed to using the POE ports it's no different in that respect - you still set the events on the NVR. Settings are programmed using the NVR local GUI or web GUI, the NVR passes those settings to the connected camera (regardless whether it uses the local PoE ports or is elsewhere on your LAN). If you set the camera up directly, this can result in a situation where the camera is configured in a particular manner that the NVR it is connected to is unaware of and so behaves unexpectedly/differently to how the camera is configured.

Only set parameters on the camera directly that are not accessible in the NVR GUI (I Frame, Smoothness, some image settings as an example) The only time you'd need to carry out configuration for events, smart events etc directly on the camera is if perhaps you were using them standalone without an NVR.

Thank you for your reply. I am very much still learning here. I was trying to get the cameras to email higher resolution images than the NVR can capture during triggered events, and also to store these images locally on the SD card in case I needed to retrieve them, hence the reason for trying to configure the cameras directly. If there are other workarounds available then maybe they are a better way of achieving this.

JB - Can you elaborate as to why you say only use the NVR to setup events etc? On my system I have ADVANCED options on my events that the NVR does not replicate so I don't think that I have the option to only use the NVR?

JB - Can you elaborate as to why you say only use the NVR to setup events etc? On my system I have ADVANCED options on my events that the NVR does not replicate so I don't think that I have the option to only use the NVR?

Whatever you input in the NVR GUI will be set on the camera, so you set everything possible on the NVR GUI so that the two match. Once that's complete, you can log into the camera GUI to change only those additional items that aren't accessible via the NVR.

If you program the basics via the camera GUI, sometimes these changes are not READ immediately by the NVR until you reboot the NVR. As an example, this can result in a situation where your NVR GUI displayed settings are not in sync with the cameras actual settings.

As an update to my original question and following help from the Use-IP team I was able to upgrade the cameras to a special firmware that fixed the issues. I can now receive full resolution email attachments from all cameras when smart events are triggered. I have disabled emails from the NVR for now.

Thanks JB thats clear.

Curious as to why you would buy an I-series NVR and then not even use its features, but instead go with a POE switch. That's strange.

@fullboogie good question. The I-series NVR was due to having AcuSense cameras, and to support these features. The POE switch was already in place so just using what was available there at no additional cost. We are about to start an extension (or were before Covid) and the current location for the NVR is temporary. Trying to set things up in a way that will require minimal re-cabling after the work is complete. I anticipate making more use of the system features in the future as I get my head around them a little more.

Well that explains it. I think you'll be happy if you ever do direct connections to the NVR. It is so much easier to have the NVR control everything.

Thanks for your help. I'll aim for that. It's a steep learning curve installing this all from scratch!

Yes it is! And once it's in there you'll fiddle with it for a long time just to get it perfect.

Back