01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

SMTP Email Test/Setup

profwolfe

Hi all. I just bought a house with the Hikvision system (cameras and DVR unit). I have gotten all my cameras reset and on my network. I am able to access my DVR administration from my Web browser. Now I am trying to configure email. I want to use my Gmail smtp configuration but cannot get a test to succeed. I tested all of my user/pass/port settings in another application and they work fine. In the HikVision console all I get back is testing failed. See attached. In my screen print I am trying the IP of smtp.gmail.com as the DNS name was also failing. Is there anyway I can see the server log or actual failure message? I am wondering if perhaps my unit can't get to the internet (is there a way to ping/test connectivity out)?

Attachments

• HikVision_Smtp_fail.JPG
    HikVision_Smtp_fail.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 910
  • HikVision_Networking.JPG
    HikVision_Networking.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,009
Hi @profwolfe,

You don't have any DNS servers set which is probably causing the issue. Try setting the primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and the secondary to 8.8.4.4, which are are Google's public servers.

Last edited:
Hi Kyle I tried setting the dns server. Both dynamically from my router and also with Google. I tried putting the GMAIL IP back to smtp.gmail.com and still failed.

Fullboogie, yes I set Google for less secure apps. I verified the Gmail user/pass is working through a custom application I built that sends emails from my same home network. It sill would seem either the HikVision isn't getting out to the internet or has some other issue. It is plugged into my network and I can manage it from any other PC in my house on that same network and all of those PCs have no issue getting to the internet.

What model is the DVR and what firmware version is it running?

It seems that there used to be a problem with Gmail failing on some of the old firmware versions which was fixed in a later update. I can post the latest firmware download for the DVR once I know which model it is.

See this thread on Hikvision Gmail Failure for more information on this.

Back