01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Soffit camera height vs wall mounted - Rain an issue on turret cameras?

pt80

Hi,
I am installing a new home system and my installer (electrician) is adament that I should install my front of house turret camera in the soffit for neatness (normal 2 storey house height). However, many online suggest to install at a lower height of approx 3m to capture more face detail etc instead of tops of heads. Do people agree? And if I mount on the wall instead of soffit, can there be issues with rain obscuring the lens in wet weather as it is not as sheltered? Please see my picture with the 2 options highlighted: Location 1 under the soffit and Location 2 lower down to better cover the drive area and approach to house. There will be an additional camera near the front door also.

Thanks in advance for any opinions :)

Attachments

• pic1.PNG
    pic1.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 1,390
You will find spider webs a big problem, all my external cameras are around 1.8m and are easy to clean. Full facial images are better.

I don’t see rain being a problem, driving heavy rain will temporarily obscure the view of any outside camera but quickly clears.

You will find spider webs a big problem, all my external cameras are around 1.8m and are easy to clean. Full facial images are better.

Thanks David - So are spiders webs likely to be worse on the soffit or the wall? Having them within easier reach to clean is certainly appealing

Hi @pt80

We would agree with what you have found from your online research, when covering shorter distances like this front drive you are better off mounting lower down (around the 3m height you suggested) so that the angle you are looking down at is not so extreme and faces will be clearer.

Soffits can still be a good position but only really when covering longer distances like a rear garden that is 30-40m and you want to record the far end of the garden but are not so bothered about the 10m directly behind the property, the extra height puts you above most obstacles that would block the FoV and also the angle is less extreme because the area you are focusing the camera on is much further away.

Spiders webs will be worse on the soffit because the 90-degree corner created by the soffit and wall creates the perfect overhang for the spiders to spin their webs from and if they do this in front of the camera it can cause visibility problems, whereas on the wall there is no point close to the camera where a spider could spin a web that would end up in front of the camera.

Firstly I'm not sure why you're using an electrician to install your CCTV - you wouldn't ask your bricklayer to install your bathroom! But I see it all the time - electricians, aerial installers and alarm engineers have found a new revenue stream in CCTV installation. Rarely do they have the experience or knowledge to design install and configure the system correctly to a high standard. I'll now climb off my high horse and offer my opinion....

Rain is not a big issue with turrets. Heavy rain will be reflected by the IR but that's the case with all cameras regardless of type/position. Turrets don't suffer the way domes do for water stains on the lens as the area is flat and the water runs off without marking. I give mine a wipe over once in a while but it's rare that I need to.

At height under the soffit is fine for a wide angle overview camera but multiple cameras specific to what you're trying to cover is best - budget allowing obviously. People often think a single high resolution, wide angle camera will suffice to cover the entire area and end up disappointed. Wide angle lenses increase the perspective of separation and distance, making everything appear smaller in view than you'd perceive, so someone stood at your gateposts will occupy such a small percentage of your screen height that you'll not get much detail in low light. You'll never eliminate every blind spot but as an installer I'd be proposing:

- a camera to the left of the front door adjacent the lower left window - dedicated to viewing the approach to the door and the area in front of it
- a camera to cover the the area in front of the garage where the two cars are parked - your position 2 or a little lower (centrally between the top of the garage doors and first floor windows) Alternatively if you moved that across to the left close to the ivy - you'd also get some coverage at the white car (albeit at a distance)
- a varifocal 2.8 - 12mm lens camera under the soffit above the the landrover adjusted toward 12mm so that the entrance to the drive between the posts fills the image.

Back