01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

[SOLVED] Hikvision Gmail Failure

Kieran

Knows a LOT of stuff
Trusted Member
Hikvision Gmail Failure

As mentioned in previous threads about this issue, Google have recently begun to discontinue support for SSL encryption within Gmail, citing security concerns as the reason for their deprecation.

You can read more about their reasoning here.

This has greatly affected Hikvision users as when this came into affect, all Hikvision devices used SSL when sending emails. This has made it impossible to send emails from a Hikvision camera or NVR via a Gmail address without being met by "Testing Failed" or "Failed to Connect Test Server". It also broke previous workarounds to this problem such as the one covered in the thread linked above.

Thankfully, there is now a fix for Gmail and Hikvision standalone cameras, and another temporary workaround for NVRs.

It is my understanding that this fix currently doesn't work with Hikvision DVRs - further information and your own experiences are greatly appreciated.

For Standalone Cameras (Not Directly Connected to an NVR)
Hikvision publicly released firmware version v5.4.0 for most of their camera series late last night which is now available on their European download portal at the below link.
http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product Firmware/Front-ends/01--IPC/

This version is applicable to the popular 4MP R6 series (2x22FWD, 2x42FWD) of Hikvision cameras and the previous 3MP R0 series (2xx2) as well as some of the less popular models. I'd advise you check which model your camera is and whether the firmware has been released for it, but it's highly likely.

This firmware version notably adds TLS encryption to applicable camera's email settings which currently works with Gmail.

Having tested it in the office, upgrading to v5.4.0 will fix Hikvision cameras not working with Gmail.

You will need to use the below settings:

• SMTP Server - smtp.gmail.com
  • SMTP Port - 25 (465 or 587 as an alternative if 25 is blocked)
  • E-mail Encryption - TLS
  • Enable STARTTLS
  • Attach Images (optional)
It is Hikvision's recommendation you factory default your device after updating the firmware to eliminate compatibility and corrupt file issues.

For NVR Email Alerts
Firmware to introduce TLS encryption to Hikvision NVRs is in the works but it's not currently available yet. For the time being, you can use another workaround to fix Hikvision NVRs not working with Gmail.

The image below is a notice released from Hikvision regarding the matter.

o8WnQsT.jpg

You will need to enable 2-step verification for your Google account and also create a special app-specific password within your Gmail account for the NVR to be able to use a Gmail account.

Both of these are done within the "My Account" section of Google.

Hikvision have produced a brief guide on the process, which I've attached to the bottom of this thread. It's very straightforward and should walk you through the entire thing.

I've tested this within the office on a DS-7716NI-I4-16P and can confirm that the above fix works fully. I was able to receive test emails and event-triggered emails (including attachments) via a Gmail account, from connected cameras running firmware versions v5.3.6 and v5.4.0 both, with the below settings.

• SMTP Server - smtp.gmail.com
  • SMTP Port - 25 (465 or 587 as an alternative if 25 is blocked)
  • Enable SSL
  • App Password entered as my authentication password (NOT my Gmail account's password)
Until firmware is released for the NVRs, the above steps will fix the issue.

Attachments

• Guide of creating APP passwords.pdf
    712.6 KB · Views: 13,883
Reactions: WRR
By all accounts, Gmail emails are inexplicably working again on NVRs and cameras on the older firmware, with nothing having been changed. I can only speculate that this has been caused by a roll-back or something of that ilk from Google.

I wouldn't rely on it staying like this however. Google are committed to their move away from SSL, so it's only a matter of time before the old method is non-functional again. I'd suggest you follow the steps above to avoid being stung unexpectedly.

Still not working either as original user/password, SSL, port 465, smtp.gmail.com or user/app password, SSL, port 25, smtp.gmail.com.
I also updated to the latest firmware v3.1.4 build 150430 on my DS-7204HWI-SH but no difference.
The strange thing is on Google devices history there is no mention of my DVR trying to authenticate in normal password or App password.
For now I am running my own smtp server but would rather use gmail or other 3rd party instead of relying on my PC being on 24/7.

I can confirm that this issue is resolved. I've just tested it again with a DS-7716NI-I4-16P and a DS-7608NI-E2-8P (both on v3.4.62) and also a standalone DS-2CD2042WD-I (v5.4.0).

h6HiJTK.jpg

57z6erc.jpg

I haven't been able to personally test functionality with a DS-7204HWI-SH, but the DVR hasn't had a firmware update for a while - I can't confirm whether Gmail is still functional but I see no reason why it shouldn't be with the above steps considering it'll still be using the same SSL encryption as the two NVRs I tested.

Are you certain that you've enabled access for less secure apps in your Google settings? 2-step verification? An app-specific password?

It's also worth just verifying that you have an appropriate IPv4 Default Gateway set as the LAN IP of your router.

Yes gw, mask, dns all correct.
I had it working with the ip address manually entered and App password - smtp.gmail.com did not work with App password.
It was working for a day then stopped again last night.
Others on the ipcamtalk site also report it stopped working again last night.
I emailed Hikvision about the issue and they only offered the static ip/app password saying they will not be updating the firmware as the DVR is too old. Mine is 2 years old and plenty of sites are still selling this same model today.
I jumped to Hikvision from AVTech DVRs as I hoped the support would be better but to be honest the products might well perform better but the support is just as bad. Their attitude to only support whatever is in current production is diabolical. Imagine if Dell only released updates this way and each year a new model server, pc or printer comes out they drop support for last years model ?

Reactions: WRR
I can confirm using the above method works on my DS7616 NI-E2/8P F/W 3.4.62 build 160503. The only downside is that the image size is only 352 x 240, so quality wise it's not too good. Prior to this my cams were sending with images 2048 x 1536. After speaking to Hikvision Technical support, seemingly this (352 x 240) image size is wrote into the firmware and cannot be changed. So until I can update my cam firmware it looks like I'll be stuck with receiving emails with low quality images, but images non the less.
Hope this helps.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for that, useful stuff. I just did a test with another NVR running v3.4.62 and can confirm that there's seemingly no way on this firmware version to increase the resolution of the attached image further than 352 x 240

Snapshots received directly from the camera will have the same resolution as that camera's main stream, but from the NVR it has historically been at a much reduced size. Not this low, though - hopefully this is only a temporary limitation.

Hi,

I have IP camera DS-2CD2042WD-I with FW 5.4.0 connected to POE switch and then to QNAP. I have applied settings as above, enabled in gmail account setting to allow less trusted apps but can not get emails from camera to be sent. However, I mirrored the POE switch port to which camera is connected, connected the laptop, run a wireshark and found that once email test is initiated, the camera sends a requests to DNS server for IP class AAAA (IPv6), gets reply and then sends a second query to DNS server for IP class A (IPv4) and gets response but with two different ip addresses associated with smtp.gmail.com and the test fails, no further queries from camera . I run another test but this time i typed in Port SMTP field an IP as per one of IP from second DNS response previous test and run the send email test. This time the test was successful, my general conclusion is that camera FW does not cope when more than one ip address being advertised by DNS server. I appreciate that the query is more to HIKvision but i just wonder if somebody else came across this problem with DS-2CD2042WD-I model and if would not mind to try to run the test with hard-coded IP instead of smtp.gmail.com in Port SMTP field.

Thanks a lot for this post. I was looking for a solution since many days.
Could you please tell me which firmware I should use in the list ?
I have the camera DS-2CD2432F-IW

Thanks Kieran !
I have done the upgrade but what is weird is that the solution works only if I disable the STARTTLS option (alj other options are activated like in your guide).
Is it normal ?

This should be fine, provided you're using TSL encryption.

Does anyone know if this will work with a DS-7608NI-SE/P NVR? Currently running 3.0.15 build 151230 but getting no email messages either. (Have tried numerous gmail, SMTPtoGo, App specific passwords etc all with no joy). Just don't want to brick my device by updating with the wrong version.

Hi,
i hope you can help me, im still having issues with the my email noticifcations, i understand that i will need to update the firmware, but i have no idea on how to do this and also no idea on which firmare version i need.

I have the DS-7608N-E2/8P

any help will be greatful

Thanks in advanced

Hi Kieran,

Thanks for the info, i now have another issue, after selecting the file and clicking up upgrade,the device has failed to restart, its been over 20 minutes since i have done this. im unable to factory reset as i can not access the GUI.
it helps i get 15 beeps on the NVR then it tries to reboot
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Last edited:
Hikvision dvr, nvr, ip camera has a problem with all email provaiders. Now i use email from my personal domain name ... settings applied to Dahua dvr and ip camera and there is working very well only on Dahua.
The problem come from hikvision software not from email provaiders.

Back