01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Sourcing an IP camera for specific application (to read an electricity meter remotely)

JT31

Hi

I am trying to source an IP camera to read an existing electricity meter remotely.

I already have a secure remote connection to the location and have the option to connect to the camera via HTTP or HTTPS.

Ideally I do not want a camera that I need to pair with a software or account to see what the camera sees. I would like to use the IP address of the camera in a browser and see what the camera sees.

I have achieved this with a Foscam C2M already.

As the electricity meter is in a dark enclosure I need a light on the camera but not an IR/night light type (like the Foscam) as it just shines off the screen and/or doesn't display the digits.

Ideally this would be a wired solution on RJ45 but I can work with wireless also.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

JT

I have known customers to use the little Hikvision cube cameras for this sort of application in the past.
The IR issue hasn't been mentioned.

Hikvision DS-2CD2455FWD-IW | 2.8mm 5MP Cube Network Camera

Hikvision's latest ColorVu cameras use a white light LED (in case that'd work better for you):

I have known customers to use the little Hikvision cube cameras for this sort of application in the past.
The IR issue hasn't been mentioned.

Hikvision DS-2CD2455FWD-IW | 2.8mm 5MP Cube Network Camera

Hikvision's latest ColorVu cameras use a white light LED (in case that'd work better for you):
Hi Phil

Thanks

The Hikvision Cube and ColourVu are 2 that I was actually looking at yesterday. I might be able to get my hands on one start of next week to have a play with, will give feed back how I get on.

I have attached 2 screen grabs of the Foscam in the light and dark for reference.

It would be good to have a couple of options available.

Thanks again

JT

Attachments

• 210218_FOSCAM_CAPTURE_LIGHT.png
    210218_FOSCAM_CAPTURE_LIGHT.png
    765.4 KB · Views: 339
  • 210218_FOSCAM_CAPTURE_DARK.PNG
    210218_FOSCAM_CAPTURE_DARK.PNG
    994.2 KB · Views: 369
Thanks for sharing the screenshots - those make the problem very clear.
It'll be interesting to see how you get on,
thanks.

I also see that the Cube can use POE which could be a neater solution.
I have 24VDC available for my remote access unit. Are you aware of a POE adapter that can be supplied by 24VDC?

Thanks

I have 24VDC available for my remote access unit. Are you aware of a POE adapter that can be supplied by 24VDC?

They are as scarce as hen's teeth! :eek:

Now that I have written that somebody may take on the challenge of finding such a thing! :D

Update: I have got a Hikvision Cube and although there does seem to be quite a few settings for the lighting, I am still getting a blank display coming through.

Would anyone have recommendations to the type of changes I should make to the lighting settings?

See attached for reference.

Thanks

Attachments

• 210301_HIKVISION_NIGHT.PNG
    210301_HIKVISION_NIGHT.PNG
    600.7 KB · Views: 255
This may be inappropriate for this forum but the cheap Reolink Lumus is a 2MP wi-fi camera powered by a DC 5v cable (to an internal rechargeable battery which can't be replaced) and mains plug. It has a built-in motion sensor spotlight (1.6W, 6500K, 180lm) which can also be activated manually through the Reolink client app - as well as conventional IR highlights which can be switched off. Unlike most wi-fi cameras, this one can deliver 24/7 live view if needed. I use a Lumus as a cat camera outside my French windows as we don't have a cat flap. Close-up night vision is pretty clear but I can't vouch for your meter display.

Attachments

• Fox.png
    Fox.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 198
Back