01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Still receive alerts if internet is maliciously cut

jengafox

Hi,

I'm pretty new to CCTV, and have narrowed my selection of DVR's down to an NVR (with IP camera) technology for my property.
However, probably stupid question but I'm gonna ask it anyway...

If I'm out and my internet goes down (e.g. maliciously), then I won't receive any alerts, rendering all my cameras useless so is there some other (fallback) way that I can still receive & access camera pics/recordings (including Live View) even in this situation?
I know you can install SDcards locally in each camera to record as a backup, but this solution isn't great IMO, as you can only check the recordings after you're aware of the problem, and after the event (all cameras could have been destroyed and removed by then, including the NVR!).
I'm looking for some other kind of way to get it in the cloud.

Note1: I'm interested in Hikvision NVR's (especially the DS-7616NI-K2/16P), so I'm hoping this supports some kind of fallback!
Note2: in case it helps, my internet is ADSL (i.e. over the phone line).

It just doesn't happen.
NVRs never get stolen.
Your home is not worth the bother.
They will burgle your neighbours (without CCTV) rather than take-down a CCTV system.

Thanks Phil, but the reason I ask is because this exact scenario has already happened to a neighbour. They broke in to their CCTV'd house and hunted down their recorder (a DVR or NVR I don't know) to attempt to delete the footage while their (non-monitored) alarm was going off!
I don't want to bother with CCTV if this simple weakness isn't addressed somehow...

this exact scenario has already happened to a neighbour
Sorry, I honestly have not heard of this happening for many, many years.

You could look at sending incidents to the cloud.
You cannot record all/continuous IP CCTV to the cloud, only triggered snippets.
Several solution providers offer a paid service for this:

As you mentioned wanting to sustain live views if your broadband connection was taken down, then you could also investigate a router that would fail-over to 4G. Perhaps speak to Nucleus Networks about a suitable router.

Didn’t know there were routers that do that, will investigate. Thanks

FYI we use a model like this at our office, which includes 4G fail-over:

Thanks for sharing the link. Do you happen to know if it’s possible to allow only certain traffic over the 4G (should the default connection go down)?
I’d only want the 4G to be used for ‘priority’ traffic - eg. Camera data; as opposed to, say Fortnite.

The next thing youll be needing is a power generator or UPS in case they open up the electrics cabinet (which is often on the side of house and can be opened with a crow bar) and kill the electricity.

Do you happen to know if it’s possible to allow only certain traffic over the 4G (should the default connection go down)?
It may be possible to configure such a restriction.
But I think fail-over would be exceptional, and it'd probably be simpler to configure an alert to notify you by email if it does fail-over, then you choose what activity/connections you do not permit whilst on 4G.

Just want to chime in that VXG offers a cloud video surveillance platform that can record video to an SD card when power goes out and upload all video the cloud when the camera is back online. VXG also offers a fail-over between cellular and local wifi.

Note1: I'm interested in Hikvision NVR's (especially the DS-7616NI-K2/16P),

Note2: in case it helps, my internet is ADSL (i.e. over the phone line).
Re the choice of NVR. I wouldn't bother with the K series for anything more than 8 cams. If you want up to 16 then get an I series.

Re the ADSL line. Bandwidth might become an issue for you.

Back