01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Storage Options Day/Night Wireless PTZ IP Camera SON-IPC1

RossM

Hi there,
I've just purchased one of these cameras and I have a few questions.
I've managed to get the camera to work on my home internet and using the supplied software, I can record and adjust the camera by pan/tilt.

1. Having real trouble gettting the camera to be accessed remotely from outside my network. Even using the "built in DDNS settings" ,****.ipcam.hk, I get no connection.
2. I'm using it inside the house to monitor the back garden, especially at night. Is there anyway I can turn off the IR LEDs as they just reflect on the window and i am unable to see anything.
3. I can't get the email client to work on it. I've asked it to send messages to my personal email but it won't accept the settings I have given it. Even tho these match the settings on my PC it keeps saying connection failed.
4. According to the literature I can access the device using my Android smart phone. I've tried using many of the apps available to do this but I can't find one that supports this device. Any idea which one I should be using?

Many thanks.

RossM

Hi Ross,

Re: Storage Options IP Camera queries:

1. For remote access you need to check you have turned on UPNP and that this is returning “Succeed”. If you get an error you will need to use port forwarding in your router. Please refer to the IP Camera Manual http://www.storageoptions.com/support/
2. Sorry, the IR lights cannot be turned off and are integral to night vision in an indoor setting. If street light is sufficient you could cover the lights. The green light can be turned off through the PTZ setting.
3. We have found Yahoo, Tiscali works, you could use smtp2go (non-ssl) to forward to your email account.
4. Currently we have not found an app you can use on Android.

These responses obtained for you from Storage Options Tech Support:
Telephone - 0844 248 7191
or email - support@storageoptions.com
or on the web at - http://www.storageoptions.com/support

OK. Thanks for the help. Managed to get the Camera up and running as desired.
Email is now working and i've found that if you use the Android app IP Cam Viewer and set it as a FOSCAM, model FI8904W, it works perfectly.

Hi Ross,

Thanks for sharing what you learned :)

I'm sure that'll be very helpul to other Storage Options IP Camera owners.

Same problem

Hi RossM.

I am in the similar position and actually found this page googling for an answer to one of your points
But I may be able to help with the other three. (I am not a computer whizz so please bare with me)

1. I couldn't get remote access to work either until I sorted my “Port Forwarding”. It worked well at home but if I tried computers (or mobile) outside my home network it didn't work. You need to open a port on your router to let the signal out. Type port forwarding into google and look for the website of the same name. It will lead you through the process in simple terms and it worked for me.

2. Same problem again. You can turn off the green light as described above but as for covering the IR lights, forget it, I've tried every which way I can but it still won't work. It's the only bug bare with this product and is as frustrating as hell.:mad: I too bought it for monitoring outside through my window (as I did with a simple webcam previously) and hoped a ip camera would be better. If i could turn IR off i'm sure it would work brilliantly and have no idea why it's a fixed, no option, setting. A bog standard cheapo wecam seems to be able to do it ok so why can't this one?.
I site the camera well away from the glass itself and at an angle to the window so it doesn't get flash back. Frame it to the glass of the window only so that the IR doesn't light up the frame (or anything else for that matter). It's not ideal and a bit hit and miss but you get something at least.

3. I have an aol account so use smtp.aol.com as the mail send smpt server and the use my ordinary account name and password. It works sending pictures to me via the alarm function. But I would refer to point one first, that could be why your not getting anything to work.

4. I have a I Phone and use a free app called CamViewer. Not only does it work, it also has Options to move the camera ,change the brightness/contrast, turn alarm on/off and flip picture etc. I find it works brilliantly

Finally a couple question of my own for anyone at storage solutions reading this

1. Is there an External Ip WIFI Webcam available that I could purchase to cover my back yard. I do notwish to buy and set up with USB wires. I want Wireless.
2. The colour of the grass in my back garden is Purple with this camera, is there something wrong with the lens, or is this due to the IR setting ?

Back