01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Strange camera failure but when taken down it works fine

codlord

Gives a lot of help
Trusted Member
I had one of our site Hikvision cameras go down recently. Been working for years. It is a single cable from the camera to a PoE switch, nothing in-between.

I first checked at the PoE switch and had a steady PoE light and a slow flashing data light (normal working cameras have a fast flashing data light) so I knew something was up.

Sometimes just unplugging/re-plugging on the PoE switch site will reboot the camera. I tried that a few times but still the same lights and no camera feed/ping.

So I went up to take it off the pole it was on, checked the cable continuity (all fine) connections all clean and dry so thought it must be a faulty camera. Took it back to the office and plugged it direct into the PoE switch and it sprung to life immediately and works fine! I then put it back on the pole and again it works fine (so far)!

Anyone else have these weird unexplained problems? Anything I can do/check now or in future if it happens again?

Camera is DS-2CD2385FWD-I running firmware V5.6.5 200316

Vivotek AI Network Video Recorders
It does so because of earth linkage, next time when it goes down again, cut the earth wire on your p. O. E network switch it won't happen again. @codlord

Back