01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Strange lights in night IR mode?

radiohead319

I've just setup a 7616 NVR with 2032 bullets. On one camera I'm getting strange dancing lights - looks like some kind of reflection. See attached picture. These lights flicker, and dance around slightly - triggering motion detection. The area is totally dark - we have no street lights in our area and nor are there any visible lights from neighbouring properties.

Any ideas what causes it and how to avoid it?

Also any hints on minimising false triggers from bats (maybe not) and insects at night?

Thanks.

Attachments

• lights.png
    lights.png
    338.6 KB · Views: 649
That's a spider web. You'll need to clean the area around the camera.

As for false triggers, these can be somewhat difficult to avoid. It's unlikely you'll ever get motion detection 100% perfect, especially with certain animals interrupting the scene. My only suggestion is to play around with the sensitivity until you get a balance that works for you.

That's a quick spider - it was the first night after installing it. I've climbed up and inspected, but could not see anything. I gave it a wipe and I'll see if it's any different tonight.
I've got another question brewing, but I'll exhaust google before I ask it!
Thanks Bob.

It must have been a spider's web. No problem since I wiped the lens area. Thanks!

Regarding false motion detection, I have written a simple Google Apps script that deletes any detections emailed during the night. The motion detection during daylight hours is perfect at sensitivity of 1 - so I can keep an eye on who's driving in and out. It would be better if they let you have different sensitivity settings for night and day (I've read it is possible if you manually se night and day schedule but that would be a huge maintenance task to keep right in all seasons.

Two more dumb questions coming in next post/s....

Back