01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Stuttering on playback in the DS CAM App when using H.265

virdi

Hi all,

So I have always used H.264 ...but I thought I would try H.265.

So I switched two of my cameras in Surveillance station to H.265 and I have noticed two things straightaway:

1) - When playing back recordings / clips in the DS Cam App ...I get stuttering on the playback. i.e. it's not smooth.

2) - The motion detection has also been affected. It's not detecting as much motion ...as to when the camera settings were in H.264.

.....So please can anybody help or advise here? Has anybody experienced or noticed anything like this?

Thanks
Virdi

Hi,

This is the first report we have seen of this.

Are you running the latest versions of all the Synology components and App?

Dear Surveillance partner,
We just wanted to notify you that the following surveillance-related tutorials and FAQs have been added to our website:
New FAQ and Tutorial:
There are also been some small software updates we'd like to notify you about, you can find more detailed information in the release notes:
  • Surveillance Station Client 1.2.4
    • Surveillance Local Display 2.3.5
    • VS360HD 4.3.3 and VS960HD 2.3.5 to improve the timeline seek function in the Timeline and Recording player.
Any further questions please let me know.
Synology

Hi Phil,

Yes - all the latest versions.

Unit is a DS-716+ with 8Gb RAM

Thanks

One of our customers has raised a similar issue when using h.265+ with Synology Surveillance Station today, I have asked him to try setting his system to h.264.

He was using a much lower spec Synology box than yours (213J).

I can only assume that Synology need to do more work with the 265 CODECs.

Thanks Phil.

What do you guys normally recommend to your customers? Record in H.264 or H.265?

...is recording to an NVR more popular rather to a NAS I take it? Do these people experience any sort of issues like this?

Thanks

This Post probably clarifies that we now recommend h.265+
Hikvision's h.265+ CODEC

But equally, for any new system, we always recommend that people purchase cameras and NVR from the same manufacturer - this ensures that there aren't any compatibility / performance issues.

Currently, by far, the majority of people opt for a Hikvision NVR and cameras.

If you are purchasing from new, it doesn't make any sense to select a Synology box - with the add-on cost of camera licences - compared to the price/performance of a Hikvision NVR.

Typically, the NVR will also provide POE power to the cameras.
And, a few advanced features for free, such as ANPR capability or POS (Point Of Sale - cash till integration).
Plus some basics like a direct monitor connection.

Back