01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Swann DVR8-4600 Power of Coaxial or Ethernet?

AndyC78

Hi, I'm new to this forum and frankly my knowledge of CCTV is pretty basic. So please be gentle!
I installed a Swann 8 channel system in/around my garage. It is a pretty basic plug and play install and connects to the network via SwannLink P2P. The garage is located away from the house roughly 20M distance so I use a TP Link powerline extender to connect the DVR to that using an ethernet cable.
I have 6 cameras setup and working with no issues for the past couple of years. Currently there are 2 channels spare and following a trespass incident at the back of my garden, I would like to try to extend the system. However, there is no power where I need the cameras and the run is 100M to 150M from the garage.
1) Is it possible to run Power over Coax cable using a BNC connector??
2) if not, are there any options I would have other than getting dedicated power in the vicinity?
3) Or would you suggest an completely new system that could handle PoC or PoE - if yes, what?
Thanks for reading and any advice welcome.
Andy

Hi,
As we only offer IP-based solutions I'm afraid I don't really know.
There may be PoC adapters available.
Manufacturers such as Hikvision and Dahua certainly offer power over coax, but you would need their new DVR and suitable cameras.

POE for IP cameras will run up to 150m as standard, but again some manufacturers will go to 2-300m with appropriately selected kit.

Thanks for the reply, Phil. I have been reading up and think I am going to have to bite the bullet and upgrade my system to be honest. I have been taking a look at a Reolink RLK8-800B4 system ,including a RLN8-410 NVR and 4 B800 cameras but they seem to suggest (as do most) that the max. recommended POE run is 100m before potential voltage drop.

Do you have any experience or advice for an extender? I found this but not sure if this is what I need... OUTREACH Max XT Outdoor Ethernet and POE Extender

Back