01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Synology and segregating data

zoomee

Need to add a third hikvision PoE camera to my setup so looking at PoE switches.

Fancy this one at the moment:
8 Port TP-LINK TL-SG2210P Gigabit Smart PoE Switch with 2 SFP Slots

Looking to replace my Netgear GSS108E (and the two external PoE injectors) with this single TP-Link unit. Hope it doesn't impact performance - its a bit overkill but I'd like to have the Link aggregation and other networking stuff to play with also.

I'm wondering if theres any benefit in running the CCTV traffic on a seperate VLAN? For example utilising the second onboard NIC on the synology to segregate the CCTV traffic to or using the same NIC and tagging traffic? or completely segregating the CCTV setup from my network with a secondary switch for example?

Looking at the NAS the current two cameras (1080p/25fps) are only using about 200kb max - is this going to impact performance of my gigabit home network or will it be ok?

Would be great to hear from other users how they have configured theirs. thanks

Hi,

Depending on who you ask, segregating your CCTV traffic onto a separate VLAN is considered essential. It really does depend on the scale of your system and your own personal needs however.

It would make your CCTV network more secure, and would remove needless traffic off other network segments. However, we have often found it to not be necessary for many small systems.

If you have the knowledge and capability to set one up, by all means go ahead and give it a shot - you'll quickly find whether or not you think it's necessary.

Thanks for the advice Kieran.

Looks like I was doing it all wrong anyways! - I had the bitrate set too low for the existing two cameras but using the Hkivision Tools quickly sorted that and raised the bitrate to 4096 for each camera. In total this uses up 20MB/s on my Gigabit network. The rest of the network is used for streaming movies or copying data across from one machine to another (albiet rarely) - this still leaves 80MB/s out of the 100MB/s available on the Gigabit network.

Being only a home user with 3 cameras - I don't think it's worthwhile segregating the network for now. Security isn't a concern at all, just bandwidth. Maybe if I had say 6 or more cameras it would be worthwhile doing but agree not for just 3 cameras on a home gigabit wired setup.

Thanks for the advice anyhoo bud. Love this Hikvision + Synology setup - its well worth it.

Woops, sorry, I didn't catch the bitrate in your first post.

Typically a 1080p IP camera is going to use anywhere between 2-6Mbps so feel free to give the settings a fiddle and find what's optimal for you.

Best of luck in the future!

Back