01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

System upgrade - I need help with camera selection please

goals

Hi All,

Upgrading my system from analogue to IP, got Hikvision 7608NI-I2/8P NVR but need to get correct cameras to suite requirements as i made the mistake when installing analogue system of not getting the right lens for the right coverage etc. The cameras i am looking at are the hikvision colour vu either version 1 or 2 but not sure if these are right for the areas i need to cover so i have attached two docs one showing the existing camera (all domes) layout and the other with what i would like to cover, these include areas and measurements. The house is a 1930s semi and all original cameras are on faisure boards below gutters at a height of about 6 mtrs. Cam 1 covers full garden but ideally the bottom end, cam 2 points straight down and covers back door and gate, cam 3 covers rear of drive, main garage door, cam 4 is on rear of garage at a height of about 2.5 mtrs and covers back half of garden which is sort of already covered by cam 1 but at a flatter angle. The second document shows the areas that i need to cover, including introducing one to the front which will be going above the front door at a height of about 2.5 - 3 mtrs but i don't want something that stands out to much so maybe the colourvu are a bit big for this one. So thanks in advance for any advice and recommendations, if any more info is needed please let me know and i will see if i can supply.

Attachments

• Existing camera layout.pdf
    910.2 KB · Views: 302
  • new camera layout.pdf
    167.6 KB · Views: 314
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @goals

The G2 ColorVu cameras with their AcuSense features fill be fully compatible with your I-Series NVR, so it would make sense to go for these as there is little in cost between them and the G1 models. The ColorVu low-light imaging works best when there is a bit of light already in the camera view already (such as from streetlights). But, if there is not enough of this to give a satisfactory colour image, they will use their own visible white light to help, whereas others use invisible IR light for this.

For all of most of the new cameras, either the DS-2CD2347G2-LU Turret (30m built-in white light range) or the DS-2CD2047G2-LU Turret (40m white light range) are the best-suited models and usually available in a range of focal lengths. The DS-2CD2087G2-LU, which is the 8MP version of the mini bullet, is also available now in a 2.8mm focal length. The 4mm version should also be available soon. I would recommend the following positions and focal lengths for the new cameras to give the best cover:

Green zone - You would need a 6mm focal length here to get a sharp picture at the end of the garden. 4mm would also work well for covering more of the garden, but the wider viewing angle means you would struggle to pick out facial features beyond 10m. I would position a 4mm model near position 4 on your first plan, looking down the garden.

You will probably also need to use a 4mm model close to position 2 to cover the closer parts of the camera, which should be mounted at least a few metres high. If you're more concerned with covering entrances at the back of the house, then you should use a camera with a 2.8mm lens - you could also use a DS-2CD2546G2-IS Mini Dome for an even smaller camera here, but this should be installed slightly lower than the other styles and is not a ColorVu model.

Red zone - A 4mm model deployed in the bottom right-hand corner of the drawn area in your plan should work well here. You could also use rotate mode on the camera to orientate the viewing angle, which can be really useful for getting the best coverage in narrow spaces. If your priority is getting maximum detail in your picture at the end of this zone, then a 6mm focal length will give you this but you will have a blind spot for the first few metres from the camera.

Blue zone - I would start with one 4mm camera on the protruding wall on the left side of the house looking diagonally across the zone, which would cover this space nicely. If you would like a camera to cover a doorway at the front, then a 2.8mm mini dome beside the entrance would work best as a secondary camera.

Hope that helps :)
This video and guide has some more information on the different focal lengths:

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for taking the time to look at my drawings and come back with your great advice regarding camera choices which has lead me to give the design a bit more thought. I had previously tried to look at plans and diagrams for focal lengths but all still a bit it and miss as to the exact locations, heights and distances etc and realised that there are a lot of variants that don't always get to the right answer so is there a basic working out or a rule of thumb as to what focal length is required for example a camera set at a height of 6 mtrs and needing to capture an acceptable image at 20 mtrs for your average domestic installation but not requiring military precision.

Back