01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Tamper proof trunking

Sonic007

Centurion!
Trusted Member
Hi,

Do you reccomend any way of running cables down external walls to prevent them being tampered with?

I was thinking something along the lines of what people put into plaster on internal walls to hide cables.
I'm thinking metal so it cant be snapped.

Anyone have any ideas or experiences of doing this?

Thankyou.

The obvious answer to your question would be steel conduit. The conduit used in plastered walls is generally plastic although you can get steel u section but it would need to be screwed to the wall in several places.

Where are you from? If the UK we use 20mm 25mm 32mm etc screwed conduit and various bends and round boxes to terminate or mount objects see below.
1573662363697.png

In the US I believe they use lighter gauge slip conduit that joins with special connectors with set screws which grip the tube.

1573662044702.png

The size you use would be determined by the number of cables/coax you need to get down the conduit. Steel conduit is pre-threaded each end but if you cut it to length then you will need to rethread the cut end to allow bends and boxes to be attached.
the other alternative is armoured flexible conduit but thats rather expensive and needs a lot more fixings for a straight run.
Hope that helps

Thankyou Fozzie Bear for your detailed reply.
Steel conduit sounds like a great idea. I saw some today and 25mm should be good for me. I am in the UK.
Il be sending 3 cat6 cables through it.

I was worried that with plastic an intruder could jus chop through and disable the cameras. It will be a lot harder with the steel. Il also make sure it is fully attached to the wall with metal bracket things.

Thanks again.

Back