01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Time for a revamp of our CCTV setup. Stand-alone PC Vs NVR

Paulcornwall

Hi everyone,
We currently have a Hikvision 8CH NVR with 6 PoE camera's attached around the property. My daughter is autistic so also need to monitor the inside of the property too. At the moment we are using wireless IP cameras inside the property which communicate with the NVR wirelessly and as mentioned 6 exterior PoE cameras. However, even though the interior cameras are wireless and not physically attached to the NVR, it still takes up channels on the NVR (8CH) which we are now full.
All camera's need to be monitored via a single system, would a stand-alone PC system be an option or do I go with a 16ch NVR? I hope you understand what I'm trying to achieve, and look to you guys for advice. Opinions, please.

Hi Paul,
Are your wireless cameras actually connected to your home network?
(router wi-fi)

A bigger NVR is probably the best bet.
It is hard to beat the value of an NVR.
Most software (or even NAS-based solutions) will require you to pay per channel.
And, of course, with a PC-based solution uses more power and would need to be left running 24/7. Also, you are typically reliant upon Windows e.g. won't easily auto-restart after a power-cut

Hi Phil, thanks for the prompt reply. Yes, the wifi cams are connected to the home network router. Is there not a way to add more wifi cams to the NVR?
Seems a little (strange), despite not physically using the port the NVR still counts a wireless camera towards its 8 channels.
I'm assuming if there is no way around this, the 16ch Hikvision would be the obvious choice?
Are any other DVR's compatible with the Hikvision IP Cam and EZviz wirelesss cams?

Is there not a way to add more wifi cams to the NVR?

Sorry, no. It's standard that each camera added consumes a channel however it is connected. The NVR's are sized with only enough resources to manage the stated number of cameras.

I think a bigger Hik NVR would be simplest.

I can't recall for definite about adding EZVIZ to Hik NVRs, but think there maybe something noted here if you search the forum. Otherwise, check with EZVIZ support.

Thanks, Phil, I'm using the Ezviz wi-fi cams atm with the Hikvision NVR so know they work. Finally, any suggestions on a replacement NVR?

Back