01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Time for an Upgrade?

Gwladok5

Hi guys!

I'm currently using Hikvision 6 x DS-2CD2142FWD-i 2.8mm cameras through the DS-7608NI-E2/8P/A.

I have to say the daytime pictures from these cameras is superb but I'm a bit disappointed with the night results.

I've been reading your reviews of the DS-2CD2385FWD-i turret camera and wondered if its worth replacing one of my existing cameras to test performance?

Or could you recommend a better upgrade for increased night performance?

Regards & thanks

I think you'd be pleased with the 2385; highest resolution, combined with great IR.

Thank You for your order :)

Phil, I'm waiting for my installer to swop a camera.

Can I ask for your advice on a technical matter?

Although all my cameras are set to 1920*1080P, I have to set my DVR VGA/HDMI output resolution to 1280*720/60HZ otherwise my 4K TV picture will keep flickering on & off if I try to match the resolution of the cameras.

My existing setup is the HDMI from DVR to a powered HDMI splitter, one hdmi going directly to a tv in the bedroom which works fine, the other hdmi output goes to an ethernet converter then down to the main 4k tv (through another converter.)

I've just bypassed the hdmi splitter and connected a new HDMI lead from the DVR to the ethernet converter, same problem.

Just a thought, when I'm viewing the DVR menus on the main tv there's no flicker; is this relevant?

Ideally you'd need to rule out the ethernet converter as a cause of issues; take the NVR to the TV, or the TV to the NVR - perhaps not easy.
Does your 4K TV have alternative HDMI inputs you can try?
Most new TVs have multiple HDMI inputs, some to different standards - it's worth a try, we have seen reports of similar in the past.
I'd expect you to be able to set your NVR output high and connect it to a 4K TV without any issues - we have ours connected to a 4K LG 55" TV here without any problems - direct-connected with a 10m HDMI cable.

Ideally you'd need to rule out the ethernet converter as a cause of issues; take the NVR to the TV, or the TV to the NVR - perhaps not easy.
Does your 4K TV have alternative HDMI inputs you can try?
Most new TVs have multiple HDMI inputs, some to different standards - it's worth a try, we have seen reports of similar in the past.
I'd expect you to be able to set your NVR output high and connect it to a 4K TV without any issues - we have ours connected to a 4K LG 55" TV here without any problems - direct-connected with a 10m HDMI cable.
Thanks Phil, its a Samsung 4k tv so I've switched the hdmi lead to another port but no joy. Using a direct HDMI lead would test the ethernet setup (what's the max length you can use?)

I've just filmed 2 mins on my phone to show what's happening but its 250mb so dont know how to get it to you!

I'm not sure on the max. HDMI length [Google says - "50 feet is generally considered the maximum reliable length. And it's rare to see an HDMI cable longer than 25 feet in a store"].

Try CPC for options - http://cpc.farnell.com/w/c/cable-leads-connectors/prl/results?st=hdmi

You can upload large files to Google Cloud or Dropbox space and share a link with us - this has the advantage of allowing us to view/play in the cloud without downloading.

Otherwise, you can use a service such as WeTransfer to email large files (as linked attachments for download).

I'm not sure on the max. HDMI length [Google says - "50 feet is generally considered the maximum reliable length. And it's rare to see an HDMI cable longer than 25 feet in a store"].

Try CPC for options - http://cpc.farnell.com/w/c/cable-leads-connectors/prl/results?st=hdmi

You can upload large files to Google Cloud or Dropbox space and share a link with us - this has the advantage of allowing us to view/play in the cloud without downloading.

Otherwise, you can use a service such as WeTransfer to email large files (as linked attachments for download).

Just thought, its worth carrying the TV upstairs & extending the hdmi cable that works to the bedroom tv!!

If that works then its the hdmi/ethernet setup; if the fault persists then its the 4k tv.

Just thought, its worth carrying the TV upstairs & extending the hdmi cable that works to the bedroom tv!!

If that works then its the hdmi/ethernet setup; if the fault persists then its the 4k tv.

On another matter, did the Hikvision upgrade in Dec 17 apply to my 7608NI-E2/8P/A?

I'm currently on firmware v3.42 build 160205, encode v6 build 160201

Regards

Phil, a further update - all DVR updates successful except v3.4.96 as this is not an EN version?

Also, attaching 4k TV direct HDMI to dvr has proved success, no flickering.

This is the hdmi/ethernet converter: wyrestorm ex-40-g2

I think it only supports 1080p maximum?

The DVR output is 1980 x 1080 which is 1080P.?

I'm looking to move up to 4k so these converters would have to go!

Can't wait to see the 2385 performance although with my current setup, i'll only get 6mp but its night view i'm after!

Hi,
Good to hear you're making progress.
The latest V3.4.96 is an ML version.
ML = Multi-Language, which includes English :)

1920 x 1080 is the resolution known as 1080P
Strictly speaking 1080P is a Television standard (aka HDTV), which includes other parameters such as frame rate.

Hi,
Good to hear you're making progress.
The latest V3.4.96 is an ML version.
ML = Multi-Language, which includes English :)

1920 x 1080 is the resolution known as 1080P
Strictly speaking 1080P is a Television standard (aka HDTV), which includes other parameters such as frame rate.

This is the only one "upgrading failed"!!

I'm sorry to bother you again, but the latest firmware updates have resulted in various applications asking for the verification code. I know this, and my ipad & smartphone applications are now ok, but my PC (windows 10) iVMS-4200 is asking me to input it in "the modify camera interface". Can you tell me where this is?

Regards

I'm sorry to bother you again, but the latest firmware updates have resulted in various applications asking for the verification code. I know this, and my ipad & smartphone applications are now ok, but my PC (windows 10) iVMS-4200 is asking me to input it in "the modify camera interface". Can you tell me where this is?

Regards
Its sorted now. Hikvision Support actually responded to me within a couple of hours!!

Hi sorry to jump in on this thread. Any thoughts on the 2385 vs the Milesight UI-5D73-PCV 5MP? I really like the idea of a built in mic and a little worried about vandalism. Never had a dome before due to their downsides.

Last edited:
Back