01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Time for an upgrade?

Gwladok

Hi!

I've got several Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-I cameras.

I'm looking to replace (some/all)

What's the benefit of "darkfighter" & do they do a replacement worth having?

Hi @Gwladok

So in terms of image performance, the scale goes from the older & entry-level model like the 2xx2FWD and 2xx3G0 EasyIP 2.0+ cameras, then you have the 'Powered by Darkfighter' EasyIP 3.0 cameras (2xx5FWD/2xx5G1) which have software improvements that improve how the camera handles low-light images. Finally, you have the True Darkfighter cameras from the 5-Series (5xx6G0) & 7-Series (7xx6G0) ranges which have hardware improvements (different lenses, sensors, etc...) to improve further still on top of the Darkfighter software improvements, but these are top range models that come in around the £500 mark.

We would say that if you are going up from a 2142 model to something like the 2145 4MP Dome camera from the EasyIP 3.0 range you will not only see an improvement because of the 'Powered by Darkfighter' software but also because this model would have much newer hardware inside including a larger sensor (2145 has 1/2.5" sensor compared to the 1/3" sensor of the 2142) which helps with light sensitivity.

Another big factor that improves with the newer camera models is the IR performance, all current-generation hikvision cameras from EasyIP2.0+, 3.0, and higher now use more powerful EXIR LEDs which means they don't have to use as many LEDs and they don't have to arrange them in the traditional ring layout that you see in your 2142, this greatly reduces IR reflection and the halo ring effect where the image falls into darkness at the edges.

As well as the Darkfighter cameras, there is one other option you may not have seen or considered. Hikvision recently introduced a new technology as part of their latest EasyIp 4.0 range called ColorVu, as the name suggests ColorVu cameras feature improved hardware and software to achieve colour images at night. The main model in this new range would be the DS-2CD2347G1-LU 4MP Turret, the key thing to be aware of though with ColorVu cameras is that if your scene is completely dark or reliant on moonlight you will likely have to use the cameras built-in visible white LED floodlight which is very bright and stays on all the time when it is dark enough to be needed. The colorVu cameras, in our opinion, work best in scenarios where you already have plenty of visible light (e.g. streetlights, motion floodlights, etc...) as then you can turn off the cameras harsh floodlight and just use the available light to light the scene.

Another forum user shared some images from their own test to give you an idea of the performance you get from a ColorVu camera in a scene with other visible light, see those images here

Hi Dan, please accept my apologies for the delay in replying to your post.

Thanks for your comments; you did not recommend moving up to say 6/8mp?

I often find with any audio/visual "upgrades" of equipment, I'm always looking for that "wow" factor in other words you can claim a definite improvement in performance. Certainly I would expect a significant performance improvement if I junped up to a 4.0 range, but £500+ a time is out!!

Any views on the 2165GO-I model?

Finally, because of the infinate no. of variations to the settings on each camera, do you know of an "idiots" guide to the effect of altering each setting; possibly even beginning with a "this is considered an optimum setting for starters"?

Once again, my thanks for your input, it is appreciated

Hi @Gwladok

I didn't recommend higher megapixel cameras as I thought you were looking for direct replacements and also you hadn't stated how you were recording your cameras, some old Hikvision NVRs have limitations on the resolution they will support.

Which NVR model do you have? If you don't have an NVR how are you recording your cameras? NAS? MicroSD card?

Hi @Gwladok

I didn't recommend higher megapixel cameras as I thought you were looking for direct replacements and also you hadn't stated how you were recording your cameras, some old Hikvision NVRs have limitations on the resolution they will support.

Which NVR model do you have? If you don't have an NVR how are you recording your cameras? NAS? MicroSD card?
Hi Dan

Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2-8P 8 Channel Network Video Recorder

from you last year!

Ok, that NVR does support 8MP cameras so if you did want a substantial upgrade we would recommend the DS-2CD2185FWD-I 8MP/4K Dome cameras or the DS-2CD2385G1-I 8MP/4K Turret cameras

Both models include the 'powered by Darkfighter' improvements mentioned above, as well as the improved hardware and EXIR LEDs.

There is no guide to the best image settings as it all depends on where your camera is installed and the scene it is recording, so we often recommend that users just test different image settings and see what gives them the best results for there setup. The most common settings that we recommend are 15fps, 1/30s exposure, and variable bit rate with max. bit rate set around 8192Kbps for 4/6MP cameras and possibly slightly higher for 8MP cameras.

If you were on a current-generation 4MP camera then I wouldn't recommend 6MP as the improvements would be minor for the cost, but as you are coming up all the way from a 2142 model the 2365G1 will be a substantial improvement at a slightly lower cost than the 2385G1

Thanks Dan

Would this turret camera fit on to the existing Dome "base"?

Hi @Gwladok,

By "base", are you referring to the junction box? If so, I'm afraid not.

Your turrets Dan's recommended will fit a DS-1280ZJ-DM21 junction box, while your domes fit a DS-1280ZJ-DM18.

Back