01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Tips for improving IR/night view on Hikvision DS-2CD2163G0 dome camera?

Dave Howard

Hi. Looking for tips on which config areas to adjust to improve night image on 2163G0 given it rates @ (max) 30m IR.
images attached taken from camera, no street lighting nearby and the first set of gates on right is <10m from camera, the left of the image is a public single track road with adjacent verge/stone wall.
I would have expected better image but happy to be corrected or given advice. Internet searches are somewhat conflicting on best settings to adjust, and I’d prefer not to add a supplemental IR illuminator.
thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 2FEB6048-EBFF-46E8-88C2-DCFCB1F59E0F.jpeg
    2FEB6048-EBFF-46E8-88C2-DCFCB1F59E0F.jpeg
    762.3 KB · Views: 278
  • D33C5EF9-BFF6-4DD7-A862-D85C2BFEFAAE.jpeg
    D33C5EF9-BFF6-4DD7-A862-D85C2BFEFAAE.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 301
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. Looking for tips on which config areas to adjust to improve night image on 2613G0 given it rates @ (max) 30m IR.
images attached taken from camera, no street lighting nearby and the first set of gates on right is <10m from camera, the left of the image is a public single track road with adjacent verge/stone wall.
I would have expected better image but happy to be corrected or given advice. Internet searches are somewhat conflicting on best settings to adjust, and I’d prefer not to add a supplemental IR illuminator.
thanks in advance.
@Dave Howard Have you tried adjusting the camera exposure? It may lighten the image, make sure it does not compromise video quality.

Upvote 0
That is a very poor night image
Virtually no infra-red contribution
Can you see that the IR LEDs are working?
I can see some IR internal reflection glare at bottom left
Make sure that the dome cover inside and out is really clean
Test to see how it looks with the dome cover off temporarily

Upvote 0
@Dave Howard Have you tried adjusting the camera exposure? It may lighten the image, make sure it does not compromise video quality.
It's set at 1/500 as are other cameras. I've changed this 2163G0 to 1/200 and will see impact of this tonight.
Appreciate any other points i should look at e.g. HLC, BLC, etc. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Thanks @Phil have changed exposure to 1/200 not 1/500 its better (played with WDR, BLC, HLC but without material change).
IR's on the camera i can 'see' 3x lit red. I'll check again this evening and also follow your other suggestions (dome was cleaned in + out before the above images taken). Will report back tomorrow :) help much appreciated.
I agree its awful certainly by comparison with a 2346 I have pointing opposite way (yes I know its turret, etc) :)

Upvote 0
Thanks @Phil have changed exposure to 1/200 not 1/500 its better (played with WDR, BLC, HLC but without material change).
IR's on the camera i can 'see' 3x lit red. I'll check again this evening and also follow your other suggestions (dome was cleaned in + out before the above images taken). Will report back tomorrow :) help much appreciated.
I agree its awful certainly by comparison with a 2346 I have pointing opposite way (yes I know its turret, etc) :)
@Dave Howard try increasing the camera brightness.

Upvote 0
@Dave Howard try increasing the camera brightness.
@Phil i attached pics of image from camera and its current settings. There are three IR's visible from on the camera. Having dome off seems to make little difference. The pics are Stream1 taken on PC via browser to NVR. I've included config as well.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 312
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 342
Upvote 0
@Phil i attached pics of image from camera and its current settings. There are three IR's visible from on the camera. Having dome off seems to make little difference. The pics are Stream1 taken on PC via browser to NVR. I've included config as well.
Dave,
increase Image Adjustment> Brightness. Mine is set to 87
Exposure settings> Exposure Time increase to brighten the picture. My night exposure time is 1/25.
The centre of your IR light seems to be lower than the camera's picture centre, try to raise it. The IR centre on my cameras is low as well.

Upvote 0
Dave,
increase Image Adjustment> Brightness. Mine is set to 87
Exposure settings> Exposure Time increase to brighten the picture. My night exposure time is 1/25.
The centre of your IR light seems to be lower than the camera's picture centre, try to raise it. The IR centre on my cameras is low as well.
Thanks Dave. Certainly exposure has made the largest difference to visibility at night. Now to strike the balance between identifying vehicles (non-ANPR) and seeing a blur ;-). Appreciate your steer/tips, thank you.

Upvote 0
Thanks Dave. Certainly exposure has made the largest difference to visibility at night. Now to strike the balance between identifying vehicles (non-ANPR) and seeing a blur ;-). Appreciate your steer/tips, thank you.
You may need a shorter exposure time to reduce the blur, I use a day / night schedule that allows a shorter exposure during the day and longer exposure at night. The downside is that you have to adjust the schedule to compensate for changes in sunrise / sunset.

Upvote 0
@Phil per thread above is it correct that i should see 3x IRs on this camera for night vision or should there be more red LED's visible? TIA

Upvote 0
Sorry, I don't know, it varies by model.
None of the cameras now use the ring of many little LEDs.
It tends to be 2, 3 or 4 LEDs behind a more diffusing cover.

Upvote 0
Back