01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Trouble using IVMS-4200 and storage server... footage disappears after reboot?

jaymiglior

Hi guys,

your help would be greatly appreciated if at all possible. Im trying to come away from using PCNVR as its years outdated and doesnt support smart events.

For the past few weeks I have really struggled getting all the components of IVMS 4200 to work together, reliably. Just when I think ive cracked it another issue appears.

The latest one that im really stuck with is what seems like footage disappearing. Imagine you've just set everything up on IVMS 4200 (v3.1.1.11), got your storage server initialised, formatted and ready etc. All the ports working correctly. So everything is up and running, event schedule and event recording is all functioning as expected. Ive been able to record footage as I expect, spent the last hour or so adjusting sensitivity in motion detection and been able to review footage in IVMS.

SOOO... Imagine my surprise when I want to restart the PC to make sure it all auto launches again, in effect, simulating a power cut, none of the footage you have been viewing from the last session is there.

Where could it have gone? Is the storage server offline, well thats the first thing I checked. It was online, and it was recording new events (to an extent)

The error im getting when im trying to view footage from the previous session is below.

Please help! I will provide any extra information also. Im not sure how much to post now?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-10-27 at 15.25.46.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-27 at 15.25.46.png
    81.3 KB · Views: 661
Check you have set the Storage Server to start automatically on startup.
On the taskbar, expand the hidden icons (usually up arrow). Right click Storage Server and select Auto Launch.
1572265107666.png

Tick Auto-Launch if it's not already ticked.
1572265275054.png

Restart the PC and check if it loads.

Depending on your OS and security settings, Storage Sever may still not load automatically. The main culprit is Windows User Access Control (UAC) which requires you to grant it permission via a confirmation window. This may also prevent the app from running after a power-failure.

Let me know how it turns out. If you receive the UAC permission window we need to take a different approach.

Check you have set the Storage Server to start automatically on startup.
On the taskbar, expand the hidden icons (usually up arrow). Right click Storage Server and select Auto Launch.
View attachment 2737

Tick Auto-Launch if it's not already ticked.
View attachment 2738

Restart the PC and check if it loads.

Depending on your OS and security settings, Storage Sever may still not load automatically. The main culprit is Windows User Access Control (UAC) which requires you to grant it permission via a confirmation window. This may also prevent the app from running after a power-failure.

Let me know how it turns out. If you receive the UAC permission window we need to take a different approach.
Hi and thanks for your reply. Auto launch is on and also I've verified it does load on launch. I also have disabled UAC (before this issue) and it remains off. thanks

for further info, once in a while I get an error message from IVMS-4200 stating "Storage Server Connection Failed: Device offline or connection timeout.(HCNetSDK.dll[7].)

Just note though, in my devices list, I can see the storage server, even click configure and it loads. Very very strange, and frustrating!

Did you figure it out?
If not, check the following to eliminate some possibilities. I have not setup the Storage Server feature with iVMS-4200 v3 but hopefully the process is similar.

More of a best-practice but important - Synchronize the time across all devices. If possible set the cameras to use NTP server: time.windows.com and make sure the Time Zone is correctly set. There should be a Test button to check the camera is able to communicate with the NTP server provided it has internet access. If not, when you add devices to iVMS-4200 there is a tickbox to Sync Device Time with the local PC.
On the camera:
1574800426887.png

In Windows 7 you can sync with a NTP server in the Control Panel>Date and Time>Internet Time(tab).
On the Storage Server:
1574807294757.png

This is important for accurate search/playback, metadata, events and many other features to work properly.

It's unlikely, but there may be a authentication issue. Try setting the same admin credentials the cameras use for the iVMS super user and the Storage Server user account.

In iVMS-4200>Device Management select the Storage Sever and click Remote Configuration. Under Storage>General make sure the HDD/partition you allocated reports a Status of Normal.
1574802544304.png

Also check here: Click Tool on the file menu and select System Configuration. Click Live View and Playback and set the Search Video File Stored in to Storage Server.
1574803510308.png

Lastly open Storage Schedule (added from the Control Panel if missing) and make sure each and every camera is set to record to the Storage Server using the All-day Template. Click Save for every camera you modify.

1574800365085.png

Reboot the PC to make sure the changes take effect. When you log back into Windows check the blue storage server icon and the dog head (iVMS v2) or red circle icon (iVMS v3) are visible in the icon tray.
1574805883147.png

Keep us posted.

Back