01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Trying to set up 1 powered IP cam, recording to 1 laptop - configuring IP side is killing me. pls help

Davidthomh

I hope the wireless bridge work doesn't take too long and you can get to the BBQ soon - you truly deserve it sir! (mind watch that Fresnel zone...)

So, would I be correct in thinking that while a laptop stresses out at the processing which it is required to do, causing a lag - an NVR will easily cope with all of the 'heavy lifting' in terms of processing/recording the camera feed and so, should have little or no delay in live view ?

David

I hope the wireless bridge work doesn't take too long and you can get to the BBQ soon - you truly deserve it sir! (mind watch that Fresnel zone...)
The first fresnel zone will be unobstructed, LoS is 12m:)

If a laptop had enough processing power it wouldn't be a problem, the NVR is specifically designed for the purpose. on my NVR I have 4 x 4mp and 4 x 2mp cameras and only see a slight lag.

Davidthomh

Hi again David,

Hope your wireless bridge wan't too troublesome and the barby was good.

So, in yet another test, I took the laptop out of the loop and connected camera to poe box, ethernet cable from poe box to wifi router.

Got less than 1 second dely on my phone camera view and on my PC browser. A huge improvement.

This has given me enough confidence to buy an nvr and monitor.

I have a poe bx, but would prefer a 4 IP poe port nvr just for simplicity's sake (I'll sell the poe box on Ebay)

I only need a 1 camera set up, so nvr with 8 ports is unnecessary. I was looking at a Reolink nvr as I have the Reolink camera, but at £174, it's way out of my price range.
I had a look on trustpilot for reviews/guidance - Swann & Hikvision get hammered, Reolink gets an 'ok', Annke gets a very good, Amcrest gets a poor...

Would be good if it worked with Firefox browser or Chrome (at a push). I use Firefox but have Chrome instaled on my PC. Bringing the cam view up on the PC would be for the occasional check - I'd have a monitor connected to the nvr anyway

Budget for nvr would be around £100. Would it be doable to get something reliable for that price ?
I'm good to fit a hard drive if required.

Thanks

David

Hi again David,

Hope your wireless bridge wan't too troublesome and the barby was good.

So, in yet another test, I took the laptop out of the loop and connected camera to poe box, ethernet cable from poe box to wifi router.

Got less than 1 second dely on my phone camera view and on my PC browser. A huge improvement.

This has given me enough confidence to buy an nvr and monitor.

I have a poe bx, but would prefer a 4 IP poe port nvr just for simplicity's sake (I'll sell the poe box on Ebay)

I only need a 1 camera set up, so nvr with 8 ports is unnecessary. I was looking at a Reolink nvr as I have the Reolink camera, but at £174, it's way out of my price range.
I had a look on trustpilot for reviews/guidance - Swann & Hikvision get hammered, Reolink gets an 'ok', Annke gets a very good, Amcrest gets a poor...

Would be good if it worked with Firefox browser or Chrome (at a push). I use Firefox but have Chrome instaled on my PC. Bringing the cam view up on the PC would be for the occasional check - I'd have a monitor connected to the nvr anyway

Budget for nvr would be around £100. Would it be doable to get something reliable for that price ?
I'm good to fit a hard drive if required.

Thanks
Hi David,
Wireless bridge is working well, sorted out the wifi co-channel interference as well.

I've seen refurbished and EoL NVR's starting around £60 (inc VAT). Avoid buying from Ebay, you could buy a brick. Use a trusted UK supplier.