01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Trying to set up 1 powered IP cam, recording to 1 laptop - configuring IP side is killing me. pls help

On reading your points on date time updates/firmware updates etc maybe it would make more sense leaving wifi on... Or from time to time I could switch on wifi, do the updates and switch off again. I quite like the security that a possible access point to home network is closed and secure, though I have no idea of the statistics of attempted hacks through laptop wifi. Maybe I'm being over cautious though. I think you are being overly cautious, I would leave the laptop wifi interface on. With the camera being connected to your laptop ethernet adapter I am not sure if the camera will get an IP address from your router.
You can test by enabling DHCP on your camera and laptop ethernet interface and restart laptop / camera. Then logon to your router and check the connected devices list to see if the camera is there. You should see the cameras hostname if not you will need to check for the cameras `Mac address, this maybe printed on the camera body label. The MAC address format varies but is a hexadecimal number like 00-0C-29-58-CC-BD, sometimes called the physical address.

Hold on - my laptop accesses the internet through my Virgin hub wifi - does that mean I'd actually need to change the IP of laptop/camera to the IP of the Virgin Hub to access the browser camera view ? - or is that complete nonsense ? - and I'm clutching at straws lol. To get updates and time the laptop and camera should use IP addresses assigned by your router.

(Maybe you could answer an idiot's question for me - the actual lan ethernet socket in my laptop, does that have an IP address of it's own, or does it just take on or be assigned the IP address of whatever you plug into it ? ) usually the IP address is assigned to your ethernet / wifi interfaces by your router. When you use a fixed (static) IP address your computer assigns it to the interface.

@Davidthomh For updates / time I think you will need to connect your camera direct to your network. I simulated what you are trying to do and the camera could not connect to the local network even with a fixed ip from my local network. When I thought about it the laptop does not behave as a switch or hub so there is no network connectivity, the camera and laptop interfaces were up but I did not get a DHCP IP address. It maybe possible to do this but I don't know how.

David,
Thank you for your comprehensive reply.

I will leave the laptop wifi connected as you suggest

First, the N.View camera is boxed up and will be returned to Amazon tomorrow, so can't do anymore configuring with this camera.

I looked very closely at the cameras you suddested in Use-IP. Great cameras, but unfortunately, out of my price range.
Finally settled on (after checking their website, updates, downloads, reviews, faq's etc) a Reolink RLC-510A bullet cam. Doesn't require IE or Adobe Flash to be seen in browser - software works on most popular browsers including Firefox, which is what I use. (so that takes 2 potential requirement barriers out of the equasion - IE and Flash)

'You can test by enabling DHCP on your camera and laptop ethernet interface and restart laptop / camera'
'logon to your router and check the connected devices list to see if the camera is there'
You should see the cameras hostname if not you will need to check for the cameras `Mac address, this maybe printed on the camera body label.
The MAC address format varies but is a hexadecimal number like 00-0C-29-58-CC-BD, sometimes called the physical address.
(I will do these checks when the new camera arrives)

I have taken a pic of my home network set-up - maybe it may help present a solution to my problem :

So, the Virgin hub is directly connected to the house internet/broadband cable.
The Virgin hub is then connected by ethernet cable to a more powerful WIFI router(ASUS) - (the Virgin hub wifi wasn't itself powerful enough and had frequent dropouts when trying to access it on tablets & phones downstairs/other rooms - all good now)
My PC box is then connected by ethernet cable to one of the ports of the ASUS router as you see.
The pic last is the laptop I will be connecting the camera to.

Here's the inevitable question David - the new camera will have an IP address, I assume that the ASUS wifi router and the Virgin hub will both have IP addresses, and the laptop has an IP address, so that's 4 IP addresses - how do I unpick from this lot from what IP's I need to leave alone and what IP's to change. It all seems ludicrously tangled and complex.

My home set-up doesn't seem that complicated, and can't be that untypical. And you read camera user reviews on eg Amazon, and they'll say, 'so easy to set-up' - 'had camera running in 15 minutes' - are these people all computer networking professionals ? lol
wifi setup.jpg

David,
Thank you for your comprehensive reply.

I will leave the laptop wifi connected as you suggest

First, the N.View camera is boxed up and will be returned to Amazon tomorrow, so can't do anymore configuring with this camera.

I looked very closely at the cameras you suddested in Use-IP. Great cameras, but unfortunately, out of my price range.
Finally settled on (after checking their website, updates, downloads, reviews, faq's etc) a Reolink RLC-510A bullet cam. Doesn't require IE or Adobe Flash to be seen in browser - software works on most popular browsers including Firefox, which is what I use. (so that takes 2 potential requirement barriers out of the equasion - IE and Flash)

'You can test by enabling DHCP on your camera and laptop ethernet interface and restart laptop / camera'
'logon to your router and check the connected devices list to see if the camera is there'
You should see the cameras hostname if not you will need to check for the cameras `Mac address, this maybe printed on the camera body label.
The MAC address format varies but is a hexadecimal number like 00-0C-29-58-CC-BD, sometimes called the physical address.
(I will do these checks when the new camera arrives)

I have taken a pic of my home network set-up - maybe it may help present a solution to my problem :

So, the Virgin hub is directly connected to the house internet/broadband cable.
The Virgin hub is then connected by ethernet cable to a more powerful WIFI router(ASUS) - (the Virgin hub wifi wasn't itself powerful enough and had frequent dropouts when trying to access it on tablets & phones downstairs/other rooms - all good now)
My PC box is then connected by ethernet cable to one of the ports of the ASUS router as you see.
The pic last is the laptop I will be connecting the camera to.

Here's the inevitable question David - the new camera will have an IP address, I assume that the ASUS wifi router and the Virgin hub will both have IP addresses, and the laptop has an IP address, so that's 4 IP addresses - how do I unpick from this lot from what IP's I need to leave alone and what IP's to change. It all seems ludicrously tangled and complex.

My home set-up doesn't seem that complicated, and can't be that untypical. And you read camera user reviews on eg Amazon, and they'll say, 'so easy to set-up' - 'had camera running in 15 minutes' - are these people all computer networking professionals ? lol
View attachment 5940

David, is your virgin hub in modem only mode with the Asus as the router?
what is the Asus model number?

Hi again David,
I haven't changed the Virgin hub settings at all since I unboxed it many many years ago.

When I enter the Virgin hub settings using IP 192.168.0.1 and login, I go to 'Superhub Settings' and can see that Modem Mode is not enabled.

And on reading the message on this page, it says :
Modem Mode - 'When active, Modem Mode {disables the wireless} and routing functions of your Super Hub so you can use your own wireless router' -

Question : If I enable Modem mode, how is my own ASUS wireless router now connecting to the internet, if the Virgin hub is taken out of the equasion ?
(simply put, if Modem mode disables the Virgin hub's wireless, where does the wifi router which it says we can now use, get it's signal to connect to internet ?)

'Modem mode disables routing' : (router model is : ASUS RT-AC51U) - so if I put the Virgin hub into Modem Mode only, I assume I'll lose the (as it states) use of the routing port that I have the ethernet cable connected to, which takes incoming internet signal from the Virgin hub to the ASUS router.

Olden days : So, decades ago, we had no home wireless requirement, a hub was directly connected to the PC with printer attached - great, no wifi problems, no dropouts - fast (for the time) downloads. - ahh, things were much simpler then lol...
I still want a wired connection, wired from hub to PC for the above reasons (even if it is connected to PC via a signal distributing wifi router), because 'wired' is generally a trouble free and reliable connecton.
I've found, downloading music, movies, software etc is much much faster and more reliable, directly 'wired' than downloading through a wifi signal (if were talking about, using the ASUS router to somehow access the internet wifi-ly).
------
I think about you reading this and my other long posts - you must wonder 'why the doesn't he get it - it's so simple' lol

Honestly, you must be so bored/frustrated - if you want to call it a day on this ever lengthening thread, I'll absolutely and entirely understand. You have been above and beyond helpful over many days, and it has been immensely appreciated.
We've moved from a setting up camera and a laptop, to going over the whole home network lol - I'll leave it to you sir whether this thread is becoming too much like a full time occupation and losing the fun of being on the forum in the first place

Cheers
David

Question : If I enable Modem mode, how is my own ASUS wireless router now connecting to the internet, if the Virgin hub is taken out of the equasion ?
(simply put, if Modem mode disables the Virgin hub's wireless, where does the wifi router which it says we can now use, get it's signal to connect to internet ?)
When the Virgin hub is in modem (bridge) mode it passes the internet straight to the ASUS WAN internet port. In modem mode there will be a specific port to use that connects to the ASUS WAN port. If you do change to modem mode make sure you know how to connect to the virgin hub to disable modem mode.
What model is the virgin hub?

so if I put the Virgin hub into Modem Mode only, I assume I'll lose the (as it states) use of the routing port that I have the ethernet cable connected to, which takes incoming internet signal from the Virgin hub to the ASUS router.
The ASUS will take over the routing for your network, I suspect you have a hybrid system at the mo. What is the ASUS IP address?

I've found, downloading music, movies, software etc is much much faster and more reliable, directly 'wired'
Agreed, wired is better. Always use it when I can.

I'm happy to help, we'll get there.

Thank you David - on with the motley :

'When the Virgin hub is in modem (bridge) mode it passes the internet straight to the ASUS WAN internet port' - ahh, I get it now

'If you do change to modem mode make sure you know how to connect to the virgin hub to disable modem mode' - yes, using http://192.168.0.1/ to access Superhub settings pages

'What model is the virgin hub?' - hub model is Super Hub ac2

'What is the ASUS IP address?' - 196.168.1.1

I have been on the Virgin forums today, and see that many if not all seem to be using Modem Mode with an attached router - my setup has been working pretty much ok for many years in non-Modem Mode. Possibly it could be running better/faster, but having nothing to compare what I have been doing to, it's seemed ok. Will going to Modem Mode help ?

Cheers

I have been on the Virgin forums today, and see that many if not all seem to be using Modem Mode with an attached router
you are probably using Double NAT (Google it) which will work, if you ever try remote access by port forwarding there'll be problems. Its working, you're happy, leave as is.
Did you disable the virgin hub wifi?

David

Hi David,

I let my wife know what I wanted to try (ie going Modem Mode only and letting the ASUS router handle the wifi) - she politely requested that if I could leave trying that till she goes to work tomorrow morning, then that would give me all day to try and fix it after it all goes wrong...hmm...

So, after I drop her off at work, I'll do it.

Would you know if there Is there a process/order for enabling Modem Mode, and getting it to talk to the ASUS router ? - eg, something like : enable Modem Mode in settings menu, then reset/reboot the Superhub, then turn off the ASUS router, then switch it on again after a minute, then reboot the computer, check connection etc...
or : enable Modem Mode in settings menu, then just switch everything off/unplug hub & router, give it five minutes, plug it all in and switch on again ?
Not sure if it matters, but it'd be nice to get it in the correct order if it makes a difference.

Looked up 'Double nat', seems a bit redundant doubling up 2 routers on the same network but if it's not slowing things down or causing problems, I'm ok to let it be. (not sure I'll ever need port forwarding)

Through my networking/wifi etc investiagations, I came across a thing called 'Mesh wifi'. I watched a couple of YT vids, it looks quite interesting and useful, if it actually does what it says it does.

Cheers

Make sure you know which port to use on the virgin hub. That port then connects to the ASUS internet WAN port

enable / disable modem here

any problems do a factory reset on the virgin hub, then disable virgin hub Wi-fi
good luck.

Hi David,

So, I switched to Modem only in Virgin Super hub and all seems to be working ok.

On the Super hub, in non-Modem only configuration, I would have seen 2.4 and 5ghz blue led indicators illuminated, so they have gone out - I assume that this is normal.

I have set up new network names and passwords for the ASUS wifi network.

On enabling Modem Mode mode in Super hub, I lost connection with laptop - I re-connected using ASUS wifi and new password, signal strength is 'excellent', which is great.

I also lost connection with smart TV, but did network search in it's settings menu, put in wifi password and that has connected too, so it's all good.

Also, I didn't have to reboot/reset the ASUS wifi router on enabling Modem mode in the Super hub (I thought It would). It does seem to be doing what it should, regardless.

I have no idea if what you have helped me with regarding wifi/network connections/modem mode will help when I try to set up the new IP camera when it arrives, but I feel I know much more than when we began, which is great, and thank you again.

@Davidthomh
Hello David,
Success!!!

On the Super hub, in non-Modem only configuration, I would have seen 2.4 and 5ghz blue led indicators illuminated, so they have gone out - I assume that this is normal.
Yes, the superhub is in modem mode. Routing and wifi are shutdown and you have moved over to your ASUS network. As the ASUS and superhub wifi networks were on at the same time they may have desensitised each other. You may notice a general improvement in wifi coverage and speed.

Have you used the DOS command prompt? If not google how to open it for your version of windows, we'll use it to get the MAC addresses of your laptop.

Your ASUS router will support 32 fixed IP assignments, log in and take a look. See red area in attached image.

Screenshot 2021-06-08 at 11.16.50.png

Success Indeed David, and after the weeks of problems and failures, it feels very good to have a win.

I've taken a screenshot of my DCHP page in ASUS setup - the numbers on my screen look a bit different to yours.

The DCHP text at the top of the page has raised a few questions though :

'The DHCP server can assign each client an IP address' - (I'm assuming that the camera would be the client)
- if a camera already comes with an IP address, how/why would the DHCP server try to assign it one ?
- and if it did ignore the IP the camera came with, wouldn't there be a conflict ?
- how would we find the new IP address that has been assigned by DCHP server ? (and I bet it it won't say 'camera' next to the IP lol)

(And the camera/client DHCP assigned IP would be a number beween : 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.254 - (starting pool and ending pool addresses ?))

'and informs the client of the of DNS server IP' -
so, having assigned the camera it's new IP address, it tells the camera what the server IP address it will be going through/to is (so that it can be viewed in browser/accessed remotely ?) - so, the DNS server IP address would be my Virgin IP address - 192.168.0.1 ?

'and informs the client of the default gateway IP' - nope, this loses me...not sure what this 3rd IP is for.
(so can we say that the server IP number and the default gateway IP are a fixed permanent numbers - we can know that they are set and don't change- ie, parts of them aren't changed like may be done with the client IP to make it connect/talk to other IP's ?)

So, we have 3 different IP adresses to configure/factor in - the client, the server, and the default gateway...yikes...

Apologies again but each little piece of new information we move on to, seems to spawn a hundred questions

Cheers
David
ASUS DHCP page.JPG

I've taken a screenshot of my DCHP page in ASUS setup - the numbers on my screen look a bit different to yours.
That picture came from the ASUS router manual.

The router DHCP server assigns IP addresses to clients (laptop, camera, smartphone, tablet, smartTV etc) on your network. Now the router knows all the clients on the network and can route information between clients and the internet. When a client has DHCP enabled and joins the network it sends a message that the router receives. The router replies with the clients own IP address (from the pool), Gateway, DNS. The client receives this and adopts those settings.

Some cameras come with an IP address already assigned and DHCP is disabled, in most cases you can download a program that will let you enable DHCP for the camera. The alternative is to setup a private subnet (as you did) between your laptop and the camera and enable DHCP.

The gateway is your router (gateway to the internet), and has the address 192.168.1.1

Domain Name System (DNS) is the system that translates website names (google.com = 142.250.179.238) to IP addresses. Clients usually use the router IP address or you can use an IP address from another DNS server.

Fixed IP addresses are used to make sure certain devices always use the same IP address, this is important when the camera is sending video data to your laptop. The router DHCP server uses a table to make these reservations by associating the clients unique MAC address with an IP address, the router will only issue this IP address to that clients MAC address. In most cases it is best practice to let the router manage IP addressing, it avoids IP conflicts.

Hi David, thank you for that. I've read it several times just to get the concepts/actions in my head.

Can I explain it back to you to see if I've got it ?

I've just checked my ASUS Lan setting and DHCP server is enabled, this means that the router will provide an IP address to the camera/client from the pool of possible numbers from .1.2 to .1.254 when I plug the camera into the laptop - I leave the laptop Lan iPV4 properties at 'Obtain an IP address automatically' - I can then go into ASUS Lan DHCP settings page to see what actual IP address the camera has been given (the gateway and DNS IP's are set/fixed)

If the camera does come with an IP address and DHCP is disabled, to make things easy, I download software which enables camera DHCP in order that my router DHCP can provide an IP address/DNS/gateway to the camera.

'The gateway is your router (gateway to the internet), and has the address 192.168.1.1' - got it

Is the above anywhere near to what the process actually is ?

Re - using cmd, yes indeed I've used that from time to time to check settings and addresses

Cheers,
David

Is the above anywhere near to what the process actually is ?
Yes, I liken the router to a post office sorting depot with international mail going to the internet. The MAC address is your postcode plus house number.

Image below shows clients attached to the ASUS router, you may see them as a name or MAC address. That is why you may need to know the client MAC address to associate it with an IP address so the router can always assign the same IP address to that MAC address.

Using the DOS prompt you'll find the wireless / ethernet interface MAC address with the ipconfig /all <press enter> command. Each interface is listed separately. It can be a bit confusing, be careful that you get the right IPV4 MAC address.

Create a list to show client name, IP address, MAC address, comment. You can use that to create the router fixed IP assignments.

Find the MAC addresses for these clients
Camera ethernet. Maybe written on the body.
Laptop WiFi. To be used as a backup for the ethernet connection.
Laptop Ethernet. It would be better to use a cable to connect your laptop to the network. For my security cameras I use ethernet cable, I wouldn't trust wifi. Sods law the wifi link will fail just when you need it.

Screenshot 2021-06-09 at 09.23.52.png

Hi David,

Thanks for the comprehensive info. That's a lot of information to digest/absorb lol.

The new camera arrived, and I downloaded the Riolink client software to see how far I could get without troubling you.
On opening, the software looks for new camera/connections.

Pic 1 - showing 'connecting' in top left corner of client screen. After trying 'connecting' for several seconds, it will go to 'timeout' before going to 'offline' eventually, and staying there.
So, I'm getting the same 'not connecting' result as before...lordy...
(just in case it was a hardware/power problem, I tried swapping poe and then mains adapter and re-testing connecting camera in the client software, and just got same results, unfortunately)

As you see in pic 1 also - the laptop ethernet Local Area Connection shows 'unidentified network' and will show 'network cable unplugged' when I disconnect anything. I was worried that the actual ethernet socket itself was malfunctioning in some way. I also checked the copper connectors inside the laptop ethernet socket - all looked clean/ok

Pic 2 is ipconfig/all to let you see what's happening

Pic 3 is 'properties' screen clicked in 'Local Area Connection Status' showing 'Network Connection Details' on the left

Pic 4 are the pages : Local Area Connection Status, Local Area Connection Properties and Internet protocol Version 4 TCP/IPv4

These pictures are all before I have changed anything, just to let you see the status of everything before any changes are made.
Reolink client and LAN status.PNG
ipconfig all 2.PNG
before i change anything 3.PNG
Before I change anything.PNG

Hope the above helps give an overview of what we're starting with - if you need any screenshots of other pages which might be helpful, please let me know

Cheers,
David

Last edited:
Hi David,

Thanks for the comprehensive info. That's a lot of information to digest/absorb lol.

The new camera arrived, and I downloaded the Riolink client software to see how far I could get without troubling you.
On opening, the software looks for new camera/connections.

Pic 1 - showing 'connecting' in top left corner of client screen. After trying 'connecting' for several seconds, it will go to 'timeout' before going to 'offline' eventually, and staying there.
So, I'm getting the same 'not connecting' result as before...lordy...
(just in case it was a hardware/power problem, I tried swapping poe and then mains adapter and re-testing connecting camera in the client software, and just got same results, unfortunately)

As you see in pic 1 also - the laptop ethernet Local Area Connection shows 'unidentified network' and will show 'network cable unplugged' when I disconnect anything. I was worried that the actual ethernet socket itself was malfunctioning in some way. I also checked the copper connectors inside the laptop ethernet socket - all looked clean/ok

Pic 2 is ipconfig/all to let you see what's happening

Pic 3 is 'properties' screen clicked in 'Local Area Connection Status' showing 'Network Connection Details' on the left

Pic 4 are the pages : Local Area Connection Status, Local Area Connection Properties and Internet protocol Version 4 TCP/IPv4

These pictures are all before I have changed anything, just to let you see the status of everything before any changes are made.
View attachment 5956
View attachment 5957
View attachment 5958
View attachment 5959

Hope the above helps give an overview of what we're starting with - if you need any screenshots of other pages which might be helpful, please let me know

Cheers,
David
Connect the camera to the router and try again.

Hi David,

I unplugged everything and then reconnected everything and opened Reolink client software - unfortunately, with same result as before, I'm getting the 'connecting/timeout messages' in the client software.

I have taken a couple of pics of the actual setup/elements involved :

Pic 1 - yellow cable from camera pigtail socket to poe box port - white cable from poe box uplink port to ethernet socket in laptop
Pic 2 - lights on poe box

Cheers
20210609_175549.jpg
20210609_180040.jpg

Hi David,

I unplugged everything and then reconnected everything and opened Reolink client software - unfortunately, with same result as before, I'm getting the 'connecting/timeout messages' in the client software.

I have taken a couple of pics of the actual setup/elements involved :

Pic 1 - yellow cable from camera pigtail socket to poe box port - white cable from poe box uplink port to ethernet socket in laptop
Pic 2 - lights on poe box

Cheers
View attachment 5960
View attachment 5961
Connect the uplink port to the router, I think you missed one of my earlier threads. I’ll add more detail later when I’m on my notebook.

Back