01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How-to: How do I reset the password of a Hikvision camera or NVR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieran

Knows a LOT of stuff
Trusted Member
Resetting the Password of a Hikvision Device
Please see our Hikvision Tutorial Megathread for further help with Hikvision systems.

Since we last made a tutorial on how to reset the password of a Hikvision device, the process has changed a little. Bob's tutorial is now unfortunately out of date and so it's about time we updated you all on how to go about it with the new method.

Whilst some of the steps have changed, you'll still have to email Hikvision to change your password, and this can sometimes take up to 24 hours to get a reply unfortunately.

Note: If you are one of our customers, feel free to drop us an email and we'll be able to expedite the process for you.

First of all, you'll need an application from Hikvision called SADP. You might already have it installed on your PC if you installed the Hikvision tools from the installation CD* that tends to come included with Hikvision devices. If you don't, you can download it from here. You can either download Hikvision Tools which includes the application or simply SADP itself.

*Please note that this reset method is only available on more recent versions of SADP and depending on when you installed the camera might not be available on the version of SADP from your CD. We recommend you update SADP before continuing

9BMCsPu.png

Once you've installed the application, launch it. It will proceed to scan your network for any Hikvision devices and display a list of any that it has found*. Select the device you want to alter the password of from the list and look to the window on the right.

*SADP will not locate any cameras plugged directly into the ports of an NVR as they are on the devices internal network and not accessibly by the rest of the network

tRRgecq.png

From here, SADP allows you to change any of the network parameters of the device. However what we're interested in for now are the fields underneath the header Reset Password. Fill in the New and Confirm Password fields with the new password you want (make sure it's labelled as strong!) and then click the "..." button next to Export. We're about to export a file, so choose the location you want the file to be exported to on your PC - in this instance, I chose my Desktop.

Now select the Export button.

FfEiaha.png

M0G0SxB.png

NOTE: Do NOT turn off the power of your device after exporting this file as it will invalidate the import file received from Hikvision and you'll have to repeat the process from scratch.

This will export a file called "DeviceKey.xml" to the location you chose in the previous step. You'll need to email this file to support@hikvision.com and request a password reset.

Hikvision will then email you with another .xml file (likely named Encrptxxxxxx.xml or similar). Save this to your PC and remember where you saved it to - you'll be using this to reset the password of the device.

Now, focus back on SADP and select the "..." button next to Import. Find the location of the file you just saved and select it. Once again, enter the new password you want in the New Password and Confirm Password field (it might not let you progress unless it's strong) and once everything is ready, hit Import.

R5JfULH.png

If it all went well, SADP will pop up a window letting you know the password reset was successful!

If you're interested in any Hikvision products, we sell the majority of their range on our webshop here.

Last edited:
Hikvision can sometimes take a while to reply - if they haven't replied within 48 hours, give them a nudge.

I've never heard of email bounce-backs due to a full inbox before - that seems especially odd, even for Hikvision.
You may want to contact one of Hikvision's many regional offices or to contact the reseller you purchased the goods from.

Yeah it was the gmail account.... SO. Now I have reset the password on the NVR, all looking good.

But I think because I originally had a weak password and the bullet camera I'm trying to connect remembers that, it hates me. I did see in the monster thread somewhere that if you set a weak password the first time you're basically screwed.

So I'm thinking factory reset... but can't for the LIFE of me find the button on our camera! It's a DS-2CD3T45. Anyone, have any idea on where to find it? Have searched online for a manual but no luck so far. Feeling like a bit of a noob.

Not all Hikvision cameras have a physical reset button I'm afraid. I'm not familiar with the DS-2CD3T45 as it's a Chinese-market camera only, but if it's anything like the western region DS-2CD2T42WD-I then I'm afraid it's likely not to have one.

There's a few images of potential locations of a physical reset button on Hikvision cameras in our tutorial megathread.

If that is the case, you can factory reset the camera via a web browser (process covered in the guide linked above).

Hi
My NVR is a DS-7204HGHI-SH & it shows up on the SAPD but none of the four cameras do! Is something wrong?

Don't worry, any camera connected directly to the back of a Hikvision DVR or NVR will not show up in SADP, as they're on the NVRs own internal NIC. An analogue camera won't because it's analogue, it's not sending network traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back