Getting Started With Your Hikvision SystemCongratulations, if you've found your way here then you're most likely now the proud owner of a shiny new IP CCTV system from Hikvision! Peace of mind and security for your business, home, family or indeed whatever application you've got in mind are within your reach - there's just that last hurdle of setting it all up.
As the industry has matured and prices have fallen over the last decade, we've seen an entirely new demographic purchasing network cameras now that they're more readily available who might not have the technical experience others do. IP CCTV, whilst straightforward once you know the basics, can be a little daunting at first glance. Things such as IP addressing, port forwarding and so on are all potential pitfalls if you're not completely comfortable with them. We're constantly striving to find new ways to make the entire process easier and more streamlined for our customers, from purchase through to support a few years down the line if need be.
So, we've decided to make a megathread of tutorials and guides, covering everything you'll need to know to get your Hikvision device up and running and common pitfalls we see quite often.
Whether you're someone who is a little overwhelmed with their first system or someone who has had IP CCTV for a few years and wants to check out a new feature you're not fully comfortable with, this megathread should contain all you'd need to know. Of course, please do let us know if there's anything you'd like us to cover!
- Installing a HDD into an NVR
- Basic set up of a Hikvision NVR
- How to find a Hikvision NVR or camera on your network
- Adding Hikvision cameras to an NVR
- Setting up a recording schedule
- How to activate a Hikvision NVR or camera
- How to reset the password of an NVR or camera
- How to upgrade the firmware of a Hikvision NVR or camera
- How to set up remote access to a Hikvision NVR or camera
- How to set up Hikvision's DDNS
- How to set up Hikvision's EZVIZ Service
- How to view a Hikvision Camera on an iOS or Android smartphone or tablet
If you have any questions or something you'd like us to cover, please create a new thread here in the Hikvision category.