01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

[Tutorial] Setting up Motion Detection & Email Notifications.

Bob

This Tutorial is Out of Date
Please See the Tutorial Megathread for an Updated Guide

In this tutorial, I will guide you through the process of setting up Motion Detection along side Email notifications. These two settings used in combination work particularly well if you need a quick notification when any motion is detected.

The first step you will need to take will be locating the IP address of your Hikvision Camera. If you don't know the IP address of the camera, download SADP to locate it on your network.

tOPN06l.png

Once you have located your camera, double click on the IP address & log in to the Hikvision interface.

The Default log in is admin and default password is 12345.

Das3Zg6.png

Once you have logged in, you will automatically be on the "Live View" tab. In order to set up motion detection, you should click on the "Configuration" tab.

Once on the Configuration tab, on the left hand side you should navigate to advanced configuration, and click on the "Network" option. Whilst you're here, you should fill out your IPv4 Default Gateway. If you don't know what that is, read here.

aDlwu1c.png

Once again, on the left hand side, there is an option called "Event" Click on this, and you will be taken to a screen which gives you an option to set up motion detection. Clicking Draw Area will allow you to drag boxes over the live view, these boxes are the areas that will detect motion. The sensitivity can also be adjusted.
oaB12ey.png
Once you are happy with your motion detection area, head down on the page, and tick "Send Email"
K7RRKaS.png
Once you have all of this set up, you will need to configure the email settings. For this tutorial, we will be using a gmail address (this is important because different hosts use different ports and servers) If you need to create a gmail account, click here.

On the left hand side, click on network, and there will be a tab called "Email" This is where you will need to fill in the information. For an overview of the information need to make this work, look below.
yZcPOxL.png

Once this is filled in, and you have applied the settings, motion detection should be working. When something moves in front of the designated area you should receive an email notifying you of this. If you receive an abundance of emails, you should try playing with the motion detection sensitivity.

8WbAUh5.png
If you need any further help, feel free to post here and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent tutorial. I have the Hikvision DS-2CD2032 and noticed that you stated that the senders email address must be a gmail address. Is this true?

Also a separate question. I can view/record live video & snapshots. But I have been unable to record video after setting up motion sensing. A tutorial on that issue would be most welcome.

Excellent tutorial. I have the Hikvision DS-2CD2032 and noticed that you stated that the senders email address must be a gmail address. Is this true?

Also a separate question. I can view/record live video & snapshots. But I have been unable to record video after setting up motion sensing. A tutorial on that issue would be most welcome.

It doesn't have to be Gmail, however I found it easiest to configure with it. If you use a different mail service, the SMTP address may be different (check on the web).

I will look into your second question today, if you could email me at bob@use-ip.co.uk with some more info that'd be great, thanks.

Hi - Thought folks like to know something I've just figured out about using gmail for email notification.

I'm using a HikVision DS-2CD2432F-IW firmware 5.3.0
I've not been encrypting my emails sent from the camera and using my ISPs smtp server.

Using the settings described above i.e. smtp.gmail.com and providing my gmail credentials didn't work. I'd get an error message saying bad user name password and receive an email from Google saying that a sign-in attempt was prevented on my account. There's a link in the email to a Google Help page which is errr actually quite helpful
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255

This basically says that the client I'm using i.e. the IP camera isn't up to modern security standards. If you want to allow less secure apps access your account then there's a Google setting that will do that but it makes your account more open to hacking. I did that and was able to receive emails from the camera.

So I'm left with a choice. Either switch on encryption for emails sent by my camera but risk my gmail account being hacked or secure my gmail account and send emails in the clear. (Note my ISP doesn't yet support encryption of email on their SMTP server). Think I'd rather keep my gmail account secure and wait for Hikvision to upgrade their security in the firmware to Google's standards.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the above, that's great information. We have raised it with Hikvision, and they are aware, so hopefully we'll see some form of security update soon.

There's always the option of creating a separate Gmail account specifically for the camera in the meantime, too.

Great tutorial. I have a question. How do I increase the file size that gets emailed. Current the file size 512k which is very small for a 4MP camera. Also, the camera is very slow to take the picture of the person. By the time it takes the picture, the subject have already left. Any advice?

Back