01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How-to: How do I use a Hikvision NVR's "Virtual Host" feature?

Kieran

Knows a LOT of stuff
Trusted Member
One of the most successful selling points of a Hikvision NVR to many small-setup customers is the "Plug and Play" functionality that simplifies the setup process of their surveillance system. However, plugging a camera directly into a port on the NVR, unfortunately, does not allow you to access the camera via its own internal LAN IP using a browser due to it being on the NVRs internal network, and this can significantly reduce the number of configuration options you have access to. The NVR does allow you to configure many options for each connected camera, but some essential features are only accessible via connecting to the camera itself (such as audio codec options). This was of course a big problem previously.

With the advent of newer firmware and models of NVR, Hikvision has introduced a feature called Virtual Host. Activating this feature turns your NVR into a "host" for the cameras allowing you to connect to them via a browser. Essentially, the NVR forwards all traffic received from your browser to the appropriate camera you're trying to connect to, eliminating the biggest problem of plug and play functionality.

Step 1:​

First of all, access your NVR via a web browser. If you do not know the LAN IP of your NVR, download Hikvision's tool SADP tool, which scans your network for any Hikvision devices that are connected and allow you to see and change their network settings, including the IP address.

Step 2:​

Once you've logged in, navigate to:
Configuration System Camera Management

VH_1.jpg

This screen displays all the connected cameras on your NVR. Notice that the final column labelled "Connect" is currently empty. We'll be coming back here in a moment.

Step 3:

Now, navigate to:
Network Advanced Settings Other
Turn on the Enable Virtual Host option.
Note - Your NVR will reboot when you click "Save".

VH_2.jpg

Step 4:

Now, navigate back to the Camera Management window from earlier. You'll notice that the previously empty connect tab now features links for each camera currently connected to your NVR.​

VH_3.jpg

Step 5:​

Click on any of these links to access the respective camera via your web browser:​
VH_4.jpg
VH_5.jpg

That's it, you're done!

This should be useful when you want to access options on your camera that your NVR doesn't feature. If you have any further questions feel free to ask, we're happy to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Kieran,
I have exactly the same model of NVR 7608ni-e2-8P.

Please assist me as the link i got after enabling the virtual host didn't work.

By the way all my IPC are offline and showing as "Network Abnormal".

I don't understand IT. I'm a farmer if you know what i mean.

Appreciate for the any help to lead me fix the set up.
Thank you in advance.

By the way all my IPC are offline and showing as "Network Abnormal".
You'll need to resolve these issues before you can use virtual host.

Thanks for the quick response Phil.

Appreciate if you can guide me resolved it as well.

As it's not really linked to this thread on Virtual Host setup, please create a new thread, describe your system and your current problems and I'll see if we can help you to resolve your problems.

Hi,
My problem is that I just plugged the unconfigured IP cameras into the NVR. They work nicely, but I can't reach them via virtual host, since their password was automatically set by the NVR. Is there any way to configure these cameras without resetting them to factory defaults? My cameras are Hikvision 2CD2020-F, the NVR is DS-7604NI. Could you help me please?

If your NVR sets a camera's password it merely passes-on / shares its own i.e. the camera's password will be the SAME as the NVR's password.

Exactly what I've been searching for.

Can I suggest a brief addition to your Excellent YouTube channel FAQ's regards this.

It's plagued me from day-dot, once I moved the IP cameras behind my DVR.
Specifically as I was wanting to view their firmware versions & serial numbers.

Cheers

Phil.

Morning Phil.
Question re: NVR DS-7608NI-E2/8P/A (v3.4.96 build 170921) interface on OSX 10.13
I have set up virtual host. Trying to view camera(s) IP & port on Configuration/System/Camera Management.
Unfortunately, the viewable columns in the table finish half way through the Protocal column on the RHS. Any ideas on how I can access a wider view of the table to show the column with the IPs and ports? There are no handles to drag the table.
Kind regards
Alan

Hi,
Do you mean this view?
I'm afraid it always looks like this, but you should be able to click the hyperlink in the right-hand 'Connect' column to open a new tab in you browser and access the camera and its setting.
HikVision virtual host connect column view 22-10-17.jpg

Unfortunately, the viewable columns in the table finish half way through the Protocal column on the RHS.

Hovering the mouse over the links in the column will show their full address, and they seem to have a simple convention.
http://<NVR-IP>:650<Channel Number>

As in, my NVR is 192.168.50.150, so my POE connected cameras are;-

http://192.168.50.150:65001
http://192.168.50.150:65002
http://192.168.50.150:65003
etc

The two cameras on an alternate switch show as;-
http://192.168.50.150:71
http://192.168.50.150:72

Cheers.

Morning Phil.
Question re: NVR DS-7608NI-E2/8P/A (v3.4.96 build 170921) interface on OSX 10.13
I have set up virtual host. Trying to view camera(s) IP & port on Configuration/System/Camera Management.
Unfortunately, the viewable columns in the table finish half way through the Protocal column on the RHS. Any ideas on how I can access a wider view of the table to show the column with the IPs and ports? There are no handles to drag the table.
Kind regards
Alan

Hi everyone
I have the same issue. I cant see a connection column.
How did you correct this please?

As a work around, I did CTRL A to select everything on the page, then pasted onto a word document and could see what you mean Phil23 by the NVR's ip address followed by the ports, 65001. 65002, 65003.
So i inputted this into IE address bar and can navigate to the cameras that way. Saved each camera to IE favourites.

Attachments

• Pic.JPG
    Pic.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,452
Last edited:
Just checked on one of our iMacs:
OSX El Capitan Ver. 10-11-6
Safari 9.1.2

Mac view of Virtual Host 2017-11-06 at 10.36.18.png

Selecting the option "Enable Virtual Host" and saving rebooted my NVR. Not what I needed in the middle of the day! :(

Sorry Mark, I have just edited the instructions to make it clear that it will reboot.

Back