01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How-to: How do I use a Hikvision NVR's "Virtual Host" feature?

Hello Phil,

I have a Hik NVR 7608-Ni E2/8P/A with 8x DS-2CD2142FWD-I cameras connected to the NVR camera ports.

I've set the system up following a number of your guides/vids (excellent by the way), but I am facing one frustration;

I can set up basic smart event intrusion detection via the NVR but it does not give access to the 'expert' functions like setting minimum and maximum sizes (to reduce false detections) so I decided not to set the cameras for detection via the NVR gui. What I did do however, is using virtual host, access the web gui for the camera directly and then set the various parameters directly on the camera there.

The problem is that the alerts, based on the settings I have put in the web gui, are not working. On review of the nvr web gui I have noticed that none of the camera settings have transferred (or replicated) in the nvr event settings - I thought they would sync???

The Hik NVR web gui does not allow access to the 'expert' settings, so I suppose the question is how do I get the alerts working based on the cam web gui settings.

Ive tried to change the cam web gui network gateway to the home router IP address (192.168.1.1) same range as the nvr IP (192.168.1.96) and inputted the hik-connect details in the cam web gui, but the cams cannot connect to the internet.

Bit lost really, hope you can help

Andy

I'm trying to enable virtual host on my DS-9632NI-I8 but after checking the box and hitting save it say PARAMETER ERROR and doesn't work, any thoughts on this please?

Hi @Simon Jones

We have never tested Virtual Host on a 9600 Series NVR but I would think the reason it is probably not supported is because the NVR has no PoE ports. With no PoE ports there is no need to create virtual links to cameras which already have dedicated IP addresses on your local network and can be individually accessed just by entering the individual IP addresses into a browser.

Hi @d.francek

What camera models do you have? Which models are working and which are not?

Can you share a screenshot of your NVR camera management page showing the Virtual Host links?

I have HIKVISION DS-7608NI-K1/8P (V4.30.010 build 200715)
Cameras that works are DS-2CD2327G1-L(U) (V5.6.5 build 200316)
Cameras that not works are DS-2CD1043G0 (V5.5.88 build 200317)

Virtual host.jpg

Ok, we have never sold/worked with the 1-series (1043G0) cameras, but seeing as these are the only ones not working and the fact that you are getting a 'not supported' error message I would think this probably means that those particular camera models do not support Virtual Host.

I am thinking the only way you will be able to login directly to these cameras will be to have them connected to a separate PoE switch and login to them with their individual IP addresses, unless someone else with more experience of these 1-series models can recommend another workaround.

When I was planning video surveillance I opted for Hikvision because I thought it was a great product. If I had been on this forum before I would never have taken it. I see lots of people have problems.
From the beginning only problems. The first camera without a problem. And then other cameras didn't want to work, and the first one worked only on port 1.
Somehow it succeeded when I change IP adresses, but the camera that started in one port was not allowed to be put in the other port, just where it started. Then Hik Connect only had three cameras working and now Virtual only has two.
With the update of the recorder, a lot has been arranged but update from menu says that I have Last firmware, and to find correct firmware and update needs some knowlege of network, Lan and Internet.
I don't need to adjust the cameras every day so it is not problem to put camera in another POE switch, but I expected plug and play and no problems.

Looking at the NVR internal IP allocation I suspect you may have some conflicts :

1. Ensure none of your cameras have "Enable HTTPS Browsing" if you're plugging them directly to NVR (I learned the hard way... e.g not realizing the Virtual Host is not forwarding HTTPS 443 port and there is nowhere mentioned that in the documentation - Hikvision should enable HTTPS protocol or not allow the user to enable such option while cameras are plugged to NVR directly. You will not be able to access cameras and you need to connect them to POE switch instead and use SADPTool if they are 192.168.254.x network to change them to your 192.168.1.X network then disable HTTPS browsing ) -

2. from your screenshot your internal NVR IPs start
D1 = 192.168.254.6
D2 = 192.168.254.3.....

They should be :
D1 = 192.168.254.2
D2 = 192.168.254.3.....

I don't know if your cameras use DHCP or not, but I found it easier to use DHCP and let NVR to assign IPs directly.

I had this type of weird IPs last week as well and was scratching my head how to reset IP allocation to D1...D8 ports... I could also not able to access some cameras, since some used DHCP and some didn't. (i suspect using NVR direct access, NVR Web access and camera Web access not always work in same way.
Actually, Camera Web interface - Network > Basic Setting > TCP/IP - the DHCP checkbox is not remembered after the reboot - (I am using V5.5.160 ) - that seems to be a bug and likely. (allows me to mess up with DNS and IP after restart)

Still learning myself how to best configure it all. (not yet used iVMS4200))

Anyway to fix NVR IP allocation :
NVR > Config > Network > Basic Settings > TCP/IP > PoE Network Card Settings and change the internal network card from 192.168.254.1 to 192.168.253.1 save it and then revert back to 192.168.254.1

If your cameras have DHCP enabled (Plug&Play) then the NVR Ports will have sticky IPs allocated as ;
D1 = 192.168.254.2
D2 = 192.168.254.3

After months of struggling, I'm able to get into the camera using the virtual host feature and I changed the audio settings from mic to line-in. Happiness!
One has to wonder why these menus are not accessible directly on the NVR's interface.
Thanks so much for this clear and simple guide!
@kieran - Deeply appreciated!

Back